Power Issues with HP ProLiant DL380 G7

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Zack Hehmann

Feb 6, 2016
I have an HP ProLiant DL380 G7 that is such a pain to turn on. Pushing the power button on the front of the server doesn't turn it on. I even tried turning it on using the power button while logged into the iLO.

When I first got it, I ended up pulling out the front power panel and verifying that the switch worked and wasn't stuck. I have had the server for about a year now and it stays on all the time, so once I'm finally get it to turn on I don't have to worry about it. I would think that the iLO would be ale to turn it on either way, and I have been able to do it successfully before. I have removed both power supplies and even removed the PSU backplane and put it back and that didn't seem to make a difference.

I just had to shut it down while I was working on my rack, and now I'm unable to get it to turn on.

The other issues I noticed is that it will just randomly reboot. It seems to around the 1 month mark. It's running ESXi 6.5. I notice it rebooting cause the system uptime will be really short and my VMs will be off and I gather it usually happens in the morning. I have never seen it do it, but I know it happens.

Here are the specs I got from iLO

Product Name ProLiant DL380 G7
System ROM P67 05/21/2018
Backup System ROM 05/05/2011
License Type iLO 3 Advanced
iLO Firmware Version 1.90 Jul 26 2018

Let me know what you think.