Power-efficient Proxmox server advice

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

warrie

Jun 9, 2023
Dear forum member,

I'm running an RPI 3b for my Home Assistant, and two Banana Pi's: 1 for hosting my school projects, and one for hosting a NextCloud instance.

However, some docker containers are not built to run on ARM architecture, so some of my school projects can't be hosted on the Banana Pi. Besides that, the RPI 3b for Home Assistant feels sluggish when dealing with restarts, updates, etc.

For this reason, I'm looking for a power-efficient 'server' to run Proxmox on. Then, in Proxmox, I run the necessary VMs/containers to achieve my needs.

Some requirements I have for the server are:
- Power-efficient
- i5 CPU (4+ cores)
- 2 RAM slots (GBs that come with the machine don't matter, I can upgrade this myself to at least 8GB)
- 2 HDD/SSD slots (SATA or m.2 doesn't matter)
- Around 300 - 400 euros
- May be second-hand since there is a limited budget

What I will be running on Proxmox:
- HomeAssistant -> HassOS
- NextCloud -> probably as Proxmox container, or within Ubuntu/Debian server VM
- 1 or 2 Ubuntu/Debian VM's for my school projects which usually run a database, some sort of web application, and a message broker.

I was hoping to idle at around 10W, but I don't know if this is possible.

Does the form factor of the PC affect the power consumption?
For example, given they have the same CPU and RAM, does the 'HP ProDesk 800 G4 SFF' consume more power than the 'HP EliteDesk 800 G4' because its motherboard is larger (and thus more components?) and it has more fans?

What would you recommend?

Thank you in advance!
Kind regards,
Ward

amalurk

Dec 16, 2016
SFF Elitedesk 800 G5 with i5-9500 32gb ram and boot m.2 idles at 9-11 watts for me with my power meter with Proxmox.

Reactions: warrie

warrie

Jun 9, 2023
Thanks, Ralph_IT and amalurk for your response!

The power consumption range of 9-11 watts during idle states sounds promising. I have come across some favorable deals for Lenovo and HP systems near my place. Going to get one of those next week.

Marsh

May 12, 2013
Since we are on the subject of power consumption

HP 600 G6 not a mini , SFF with pcie x16 slot and pcie x4 slot
I5-10500 not T version
using a ultra cheap kill-a-watt meter for measurement

June 2023
HP 600 G6 SFF , I5-10500 , 4 x 16gb ram ,
2TB team group nvme + 2TB team group SATA ssd

Proxmox 7.4 idle at 4-5w

Add Dual port Intel network card ( 7 years old card )
Proxmox 7.4 idle at 6-7w

Reactions: warrie