Power Consumption: Single CPU vs Dual CPU with One Installed.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
I couldn't find anything searching the internet, so though I'd ask to see if anyone knew:

Looking at Ivy Bridge/Haswell (v2/v3) Xeon E5 motherboards (LGA 2011/2011-3), would a dual processor board (a Supermicro X10DR** for example) with a single CPU installed draw appreciably more power than an otherwise similar uniprocessor board with the same CPU (X10SR** again for example)? The chipset is the same, so I'd think there'd be little more extra overhead than powering some unused traces on the board. But, I could be (and often am) missing something.

I'm shopping motherboards to update a couple machines, and while I'll be running single CPUs, I don't want to rule out any DP motherboard deals I see if I don't have to.

Thanks!

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
Yeah, I'm about 90% ready to put a bid on that.

I was looking at my Ebay history though, and over the last 3 years I've got a less than 50% success rate in receiving Ebay purchased motherboards in working order! Admittedly, about half of the DOA ones became DOA in transit (USPS and UPS seem to be particularly hard on my tech purchases). The one I received last week was smashed pretty good (which is why I'm still shopping :().

So I started looking closer to home to see if I could find anything more local. There's a couple interesting Dual Processor boards I found listings on, but didn't know if I was doing something silly considering them (other than losing some PCIe slots).

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
Larger Board size and loss of PCIe slots are the key concerns.
I have not measured the power consumption difference but I don’t think it would be much different using 1 cpu on dual board vs uniprocessor board.