power consumption of single cpu x9 supermicro

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

pypypy

Jan 6, 2021
Hi I'm looking to pick up an x9srw-f for a pfsense box/ maybe a second to replace my dual x5670 whitebox (x8dtl-3f). Anyone running something like this and have an idea of what idle/load power consumption I can expect from these?

lte

Apr 13, 2020
DE
Hi,
I'm using a X9SRW-F for my Veeam server. The board is ~5W, power draw comes mainly from the CPU, RAM, PCIe cards and your storage options.

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
It's going to be pretty bad for pfSense, which does not need much CPU/RAM unless you're trying to route well over 1gbit. You're going to be better off getting something far lower in power.

Reactions: abq

kapone

May 23, 2015
I use a teeny tiny thin-ITX motherboard (Gigabyte B75-TN) with an i5-3570s (4C/4T) for my pfSense box, with symmetric gigabit. The system idles at <10w with the CPU/2x RAM sticks/passive CPU cooler. With a Mellanox CX3 10g card, it idles ~14w. It can do symmetric gigabit and then some.

Reactions: pypypy and abq

pypypy

Jan 6, 2021
Hi,
I'm using a X9SRW-F for my Veeam server. The board is ~5W, power draw comes mainly from the CPU, RAM, PCIe cards and your storage options.
Hi was wondering what draw is with the cpu you got installed?
It's going to be pretty bad for pfSense, which does not need much CPU/RAM unless you're trying to route well over 1gbit. You're going to be better off getting something far lower in power.
Honestly it's just because I can get it for really cheap $100CAD. Just gunna put one stick of ram and one of the slower 4c/4t CPUs inside.
I use a teeny tiny thin-ITX motherboard (Gigabyte B75-TN) with an i5-3570s (4C/4T) for my pfSense box, with symmetric gigabit. The system idles at <10w with the CPU/2x RAM sticks/passive CPU cooler. With a Mellanox CX3 10g card, it idles ~14w. It can do symmetric gigabit and then some.
Thanks I'll look into that. Was mainly looking at this because I can get it fully loaded for $100

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
Honestly it's just because I can get it for really cheap $100CAD. Just gunna put one stick of ram and one of the slower 4c/4t CPUs inside.
You can get a Celeron J1900 setup (or newer) for that much, which will draw under 10W at the wall. The power savings will pay for themselves fairly quickly.

lte

Apr 13, 2020
DE
You can get a Celeron J1900 setup (or newer) for that much, which will draw under 10W at the wall. The power savings will pay for themselves fairly quickly.
+1 on that

Have a look at the smaller A2x boards. Alternatively check out the X11SBA-LN4F, should have everything you desire for a FW. The predecessor X10SBA runs with the J1900 and is a bit cheaper, but due to the lack of AES-NI encryption (VPN) is slower. Alternatively check out the APU series by pcengines - quite popular in Europe and very low power

pypypy

Jan 6, 2021
so I decided to pick it up anyways (the person I got it has an excellent return policy). It came with an e5-2609 and 16gb of ram (4x4gb). When I hook it up to the kill-a-watt I get 36 watts idle and 50 watts max. I think if I swap out the cpu with something lower tdp (one of the v2s) and maybe change the ram out for a single 8gb dimm I can get it down another 10w. Not bad for the price. When I find something lower power I'll use this to replace my dual x5670 that is pulling 230w...

Couldn't find any J1900 boards for anywhere near my $100 budget.

If anyone local to Toronto wants to pick one of these up the person has lots so just pm me.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
E5 at 32nm compared to E5 v2 at 22nm didn’t yield as much saving in power always, nothing like the older stuff to the e5’s and anything onwards, for example and X10 with a Low end E5 v4 doesn’t use much less that what your board and cpu seems to use and that’s 14nm.
try it and see if you get a 10w reduction but I would be surprised if you do.
36w is a very respective idle value.

kapone

May 23, 2015
Thanks I'll look into that. Was mainly looking at this because I can get it fully loaded for $100
As a data point - I got the Gigabyte board +8GB RAM (2x4GB 1600 DDR3 SO-DIMMs) + i3-3220 for...$45 shipped.

Edit: These boards are quite versatile as such. I'm using them with direct 12v, but they work off of 19v as well and have the same power socket in the back as Dell laptops. And those PSUs can be had dirt cheap.

Reactions: pypypy