POST and BIOS show different value for installed RAM

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

LFletcher

Mar 26, 2013
UK
Hi,
Just built a new system with a Supermicro X8DTE-F motherboard, but the RAM is showing up strangely. In the BIOS it shows only 32GB installed, but on the POST screen it shows 64GB (the correct figure).

It's 4 sticks of registered ECC on the approved SM list (MEM-DR316L-HL02-ER10) and shows up fine on an X8DAi board that I have.

Will try swapping the slots they are installed in to see if that makes any difference, but has anyone seen anything like this before? If so how did you resolve it?

Thanks

Aluminum

Sep 7, 2012
Hi,
Just built a new system with a Supermicro X8DTE-F motherboard, but the RAM is showing up strangely. In the BIOS it shows only 32GB installed, but on the POST screen it shows 64GB (the correct figure).

It's 4 sticks of registered ECC on the approved SM list (MEM-DR316L-HL02-ER10) and shows up fine on an X8DAi board that I have.

Will try swapping the slots they are installed in to see if that makes any difference, but has anyone seen anything like this before? If so how did you resolve it?

Thanks
If the OS sees all 64, I wouldn't waste any time caring. Otherwise hound SM support on a daily basis for a fixed bios.