Possible to fit a modern mobo in an old hot swappable rackmount case?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Crisp

Dec 19, 2013
As the title asks, is it possible to fit a modern motherboard into an old 3u server case with hot swap bays?

I ask because I may be able to get a SuperMicro 933 on the cheap which has x15 bays @ sata-300 speeds, but at the time only supported like 500GB size drives. Would the drive size limitation be tied to the raid card? And fitting a newer motherboard with a newer raid card allow for say 2TB drives?

I'm not to bothered about the sata speeds, as it's going to be used as home storage. I would want to fit a newer modern Intel board to this case, would any of this be possible?

Thanks in advance.

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
From Supermicro 933 15xSATA 3u Case
3U Direct Attached Backplane, features:
• 3Gb/6Gb support
• SATA support
• 15 SATA connectors
The 500GB limit would have been at the time the largest drive available.
2TB+ drive support is limited to the controller modern controller and Mobo's have no issue with 2TB+ drives
As each drive needs it's own cable you will need a 16port controller, 2x 8port or an expander to utilise all 15 Drive bays.

So fitting a new Mobo shouldn't be an issue at all

Last edited:

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Yes, it should work. Only issue is that there was a revision to the ATX spec a few years ago that moved the location of two mounting holes. It was optional for a couple of years, and then revised again to make it mandatory. Some older chassis have stand-off mounts for both versions - but others do not. You might have to be creative on the mounting holes - or just leave them open since they are only 2 of 7 mount points. This change is why most SuperMicro motherboard product pages include a line about "a revision K or newer chassis is recommended.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
This change is why most SuperMicro motherboard product pages include a line about "a revision K or newer chassis is recommended."
Thanks PL. I just learned something.

Also to the OP - you can do a lot to deal with extra or missing standoffs depending on what you deal with. You can usually drill/ tap new mounting points if needed (or just build up support) for absent mounting points. Conversely, if there is a non-removable extra mounting point you can usually electrical tape over it and be fine.