Possibility of installing video card in server

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

zhangtemplar

Jan 11, 2014
Hi, I am planning to get a server at home primary for computation (CUDA), picture editing and games. So I am looking for the possibilities of installing video card in server. However, I have several concerns on that:
1. will any video card will work, e.g., GTX titan, or we need one with ECC memory?
2. how to provide power for the video card, do we have 6+8 pins or likewise in the server?

I am looking for the HP DL 160 G6, which supports 1 full length and full height PCI-E.

Thanks for any help!

Lost-Benji

Jan 21, 2013
The arse end of the planet
Without going nuts on the topic but you are barking up the wrong tree here.

You want a workstation, not a Server.

The DL160 is designed for CPU grunt, not storage nor as a workstation. The slots in the rear are for the follow layout:

Slot 1:Full-length/Full height x16 PCI-Express Gen2 slot,

or

Slot 1: Half-length/Full height x16 PCI-Express Gen2 slot
Slot 2: Low Profile x4 PCI-Express Gen2 slot (accepts x8 cards, internal only)

These slots are only single width that has now just cut down your options massively. The only cards that will fit but still give you what you want with the CUDA is a Quadro.

The power for cards will be limited to the slot power only and rules out cards anything bigger than tiny. PSU is too small for anything else really.

Options that should be considered with this server: PCI-E Expansion
Qoute from HP:
The HP ProLiant DL160 G6 server is a high performance, low cost, ultra-dense, dual processor capable, 1U rack server for memory
intense High Performance Computing (HPC) environments, Web 2.0, hosting, and general large memory footprint server deployments.

Last edited:

zhangtemplar

Jan 11, 2014
Thank you!

Yes, I probably need to go for a workstation. However, there is no such cheap workstation on the market as C6100, DL 160 etc. The workstation with two-way and big memory is just to expansive.

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
Z400's are cheap and available with L5639 still! (1 cpu).

I was thinking of upgrading my mac pro 4,1 to a 5,1 with dual L5639 soon too. Picked up a bunch of l5639 @ 75$ each back a few months ago knowing i'd put them to use.

There are many motherboards on consumer side that work with L5639 - some as low as $59 bin on ebay! Not sure if you want to over clock or what.

zhangtemplar

Jan 11, 2014
Regarding the CPU, I think the 55xx or 56xx should be fine. For the RAM, I suppose the larger the better (My laptop already got 32GB:)).

For storage, I am not quite sure, may be 2~4 TB would be good currently. I have a 2-bay NAS running at home.

zhangtemplar

Jan 11, 2014
Z400's are cheap and available with L5639 still! (1 cpu).

I was thinking of upgrading my mac pro 4,1 to a 5,1 with dual L5639 soon too. Picked up a bunch of l5639 @ 75$ each back a few months ago knowing i'd put them to use.

There are many motherboards on consumer side that work with L5639 - some as low as $59 bin on ebay! Not sure if you want to over clock or what.
Thank you! You are really helpful.