Plenty of rack space: quiet chassis?

Discussion in 'Chassis and Enclosures' started by altano, Mar 30, 2019.

1. altano

altano Active Member

I'm building a machine around a mini-ITX motherboard. I have plenty of rack space so what's a good option to keep things quiet? The only thing I'll be plugging into it is a single PCI-E card so I have almost no requirements. I could do this:

* 2U Chassis: Rosewill RSV-Z2600
    * Basic silent fan PSU
    * 3 x Noctua NF-A8 PWM fans

Or just say screw it and get a SuperMicro CSE-505-203B and hope for low noise?

2. K D

K D Well-Known Member

No experience with this particular board but the xeon D 1528 board is quiet and cool with a 60mm noctua placed on top of the heatsink. You should have enough clearance with the 2u chassis you've referenced above.

I don't know your definition of quiet but for me the 1U supermicro option is not quiet. Even idling, it is definitely noticeable and the fans definitely Rev up under load.

3. i386

i386 Well-Known Member

I'm using a supermicro 745b sq chassis with my pentium d setup.

It's quiet and can be easilly "converted" to a tower/workstation or gpu server chassis :D