please help - fan error and OS stop - supermicro X9DR3-LN4+

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

tiwing

Feb 14, 2021
1671302792191.png
Anyone know what this is all about? I have already replaced the motherboard. I am getting about 2-3 days of uptime normally and then this fault. I've been doing an immediate power down and power on to get it up and running again for now. Server is on a UPS since day 1 and I have whole home surge suppression as well, so ... probably not related to any power glitches. This started to happen about a month ago on the old motherboard and there was no obvious events leading up to it.

Suggestions for what the issue is, or next steps in trouble shooting please??

Sean Ho

seanho.com
Nov 19, 2019
Vancouver, BC
seanho.com
what chassis is it in? what's FAN6 connected to, and what rpms had it been showing? has the fan in fact failed, or do the thresholds just need tweaking, e.g., for aftermarket fans? Temps?

tiwing

Feb 14, 2021
It's in a superstorage 6047R-E1R36N 36 bay.

Nothing is connected to the Fan6 header - never has been, which makes this error even more bizarre. Factory fans, running "optimized" and always showing between 2400 and 3200 rpm.

https://www.supermicro.com/manuals/superserver/4U/MNL-6047R-E1R36N.pdf (page 36 for motherboard schematic)

@RolloZ170 thanks for the suggestion. I did some digging and see a BTRFS error when booting the OS (Unraid), no idea how long the error has been there, and SMART tests are all OK. I do have some pretty ancient SDDs in there. But I have a hard time understanding how that causes a server error..!! I'm new, I guess. Going to dig a little more into that though.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
@RolloZ170 thanks for the suggestion. I did some digging and see a BTRFS error when booting the OS (Unraid), no idea how long the error has been there, and SMART tests are all OK. I do have some pretty ancient SDDs in there. But I have a hard time understanding how that causes a server error..!! I'm new, I guess. Going to dig a little more into that though
OEM SELSOL can have sensor type Fan of course. this is always problematic in OEM events, you never know.
with IPMI HDD sensors come into BMC and then into OS to have one main error log.

Reactions: tiwing