Platform with HTML5 BMC and no UEFI

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Weapon

Oct 19, 2013
Is there a motherboard or platform with HTML5 BMC and no UEFI support? Like an old X9 Supermicro board but with newer BMC? I want to put together a test system and UEFI always seems to cause me problems.

nabsltd

Jan 26, 2022
X9 boards with recent BIOS have UEFI support. Because BMC/IPMI firmware on Supermicro is sort of tied to BIOS (in that you shouldn't be too far apart in versions), if there were a modern HTML5 interface on the BMC, you'd have to have a recent BIOS with UEFI support.

That said, you can disable pretty much all of UEFI on SM motherboards, so if you get a recent one with HTML5 interface, you could easily disable UEFI. The only UEFI-related bit I can't disable on my X11SRA (no IPMI) is the built-in UEFI shell as a boot option. That shows up even if you select "Legacy" as the boot mode.

I really like the recent SM BIOS as you can literally use both UEFI and legacy at the same time. For example, you can have some slots use the UEFI ROM, and others use the legacy. And, you can have both modes enabled for boot, so it's easy to stick in a USB drive, hit F11 for the boot menu and boot, regardless of how the USB is formatted. No need to switch between modes.

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
UEFI has been essentially the norm since Sandy Bridge (and available earlier than that). Just use CSM if you want legacy boot options?

Also please note that contrary to what is stated above, you cannot "disable UEFI". There is no more BIOS on motherboards from the past decade. You can disable UEFI boot options by enabling CSM, but the firmware is still 100% UEFI and CSM is just UEFI emulating BIOS support.

What exactly do you have that's incompatible? Are you trying to run Windows XP or the likes?

Weapon

Oct 19, 2013
what kind of problems ? maybe there is an easy solution ?
i use UEFI only boot for years.
SAS2flash for updating LSI cards and most recently had a boot disc from an older non UEFI system that won’t boot unless I manually use F11 boot manager to select the windows boot partition

just little nit picky things like that which seem to pop up infrequently when I do something out of the normal range of usage and it takes me forever to troubleshoot it cause I never remember what the solution was last time or forget that UEFI is a thing etc

maybe the best thing is to just learn how to work with it but it would be nice to have a fall back system for when I can’t figure it out or just to troubleshoot and remove a variable

Weapon

Oct 19, 2013
I had a atom c2550f system that met both requirements but I sold it because it was just too slow for anything even just updating windows

I also just kinda like to keep some legacy hardware cause you never know when something weird might pop up that just doesn’t work on new stuff and eventually it will be harder and harder to get

but maybe I am being too much of a hoarder

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
Your Atom C2000 series motherboard is going to be UEFI based, not BIOS.

Why don't you just use EFI shell and the EFI version of the sas2flash utility? You don't even to boot to any OS for that. It's way easier and faster than trying to boot to DOS, Linux, or Windows.

Sean Ho

seanho.com
Nov 19, 2019
Vancouver, BC
seanho.com
There are some situations that only DOS sas2flash handles, but for most the EFI version is just fine. And on some systems, the DOS version fails with a PAL error, so you have to use the EFI version.

To boot a USB drive in bios mode, remember that (as nabsltd mentioned) the board can try to boot the same drive in either uefi or bios mode, so you need to select the mode matching how the drive is formatted.

For Windows, usually Windows adds a boot entry to the board's NVRAM pointing to the drive by UUID; when moving the drive to another system you can recreate this boot entry with bcdedit.

I empathise that it's always challenging to adapt to a new way of doing things, but by now UEFI no longer really counts as "new".

Reactions: Weapon