Placing HBAs on PCIe on dual socket mobo

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Revil

Sep 22, 2014
Hi guys,

I have multiple LSI 9217-8i in IT mode in Supermicro X9DR3-F motherboard with two Xeon E5 2660 v2. I connected 16x Samsung 850 SSDs 512GB and performance is very good (Windows Server 2016 Storage Spaces, server will be single Hyper-V host). Based on my tests I found that two controllers deliver almost same number of IOPs as four controllers so I will use two since I’d like to use other two in different server.

I asked myself one interesting question and I’m not able to find / Google answer. The mobo is dual socket mobo which means that 3 PCIe slots are for first socket and other 3 PCIe slots are for second socket. Is there any benefit to have both storage controllers on a single socket / both sockets?

Based on my testing I haven’t seen different numbers for latency / throughput / IOPs but I’m really keen to read your answers because I think this is very interesting HW question ;-). Thank you.

raylangivens

Nov 22, 2016
You'd have to saturate the QPI bandwidth with your storage for the inter-socket-slot placement to matter. So, yeah, I'd like to see that rig. ;-)

Reactions: cheezehead