physical endurance of PCI-E slots?

Discussion in 'Processors and Motherboards' started by BLinux, Aug 31, 2017.

1. BLinux

BLinux cat lover server enthusiast

i'm just wondering if anyone here has an idea how many times you can insert & remove a device in a PCI-E slot until you start to notice wear and tear on the PCI-E slot? is there something about this in the design spec?

i've been dealing with a project where i'm testing a bunch of cards bought 2nd hand. inserting/removing PCI-E cards about 100 times / day. if I keep this up 5 days a week, that's over 26000 per year. would i notice wear on my motherboard? or is that so below what they were designed for that I wouldn't notice a thing?

just curious if anyone here works in large scale manufacturing that might have some ideas about this question...

2. wildpig1234

wildpig1234 Well-Known Member

3. Nanotech

Nanotech Active Member

If it's a reinforced PCI-E slot the slot will outlast the actual video cards themselves. Even non-reinforced PCI-E slots can easily handle multiple installations and removal without issue. As for rated insertions/removals I don't have specifications but as another member suggested a riser would save wear/tear on the slots. The slots are pretty durable as they are.

4. Jeggs101

Jeggs101 Well-Known Member

What did you buy second hand that you're testing 100 per day?

Patrick likes this.
  5. vl1969

vl1969 Active Member

I second this question :)

if your job is a hardware tester , than a some kind of rig with slot extender is a must.
    and it makes it a lot easier to swap the cards even on running system (check your specs to see if your MB supports PCI card hot-swap though ).

6. wildpig1234

wildpig1234 Well-Known Member

I was thinking about that ribbon cable or extender too... the slot in board might last but you don't want to risk breaking the card in the slot while changing the card..

7. Twist

Twist Member

Mating cycles for pcie connectors is not that high, normally you will see a max figure of 50 cycles in datasheets.

frogtech, Stux, Patrick and 1 other person like this.