physical endurance of PCI-E slots?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
i'm just wondering if anyone here has an idea how many times you can insert & remove a device in a PCI-E slot until you start to notice wear and tear on the PCI-E slot? is there something about this in the design spec?

i've been dealing with a project where i'm testing a bunch of cards bought 2nd hand. inserting/removing PCI-E cards about 100 times / day. if I keep this up 5 days a week, that's over 26000 per year. would i notice wear on my motherboard? or is that so below what they were designed for that I wouldn't notice a thing?

just curious if anyone here works in large scale manufacturing that might have some ideas about this question...

vl1969

Feb 5, 2014
What did you buy second hand that you're testing 100 per day?
I second this question :)

if your job is a hardware tester , than a some kind of rig with slot extender is a must.
and it makes it a lot easier to swap the cards even on running system (check your specs to see if your MB supports PCI card hot-swap though ).

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
I was thinking about that ribbon cable or extender too... the slot in board might last but you don't want to risk breaking the card in the slot while changing the card..