Photo/Video Hosting Server?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

stopspam

Jan 7, 2016
Does anyone know of a good alternative to (Synology/QNAP) Photo Station for a home server?

I am currently using Smugmug but would love to find a sufficiently good alternative for self-hosting to replace it.
While Smugmug provides unlimited storage, uploading to the service is slow and there are no good automated tools for syncing my folder structure.

Some of the requirements I am looking for are:
1. Automatic syncing my camera photos (JPG)/videos (MOV, MP4) to a folder structure that can be browsed through web and mobile (android) apps.
2. Streaming of videos to the mobile app/browser. (with pre-processed or on-the-fly transcoding to lower quality)
3. Sharing of folders as obfuscated or password protected web links.

Thanks!

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Owncloud all the way for what your requirements dictate. With the right plugins you can do all the above.

stopspam

Jan 7, 2016
Thanks for suggesting Owncloud. I did look at it previously, but I can only find one plugin (Video stream (HLS) Player) that appears to do transcoding and it has clear warnings that it is not production ready. Furthermore, I have noticed earlier plugins of a similar nature to have been eventually abandoned.

It is a pity that there doesn't appear to be a good self-hosted solution for this...

stopspam

Jan 7, 2016
Thanks for that suggestion too. However, separate solutions for #3 and #2 do not work well. I could share a folder of photos/videos in Owncloud, but then the recipient would not be able to stream the videos on a mobile device without Plex. I don't want to have to create a Plex account for each recipient and also the sharing restrictions are too coarse grained, i.e. the recipient can see an entire library and not a specific folder. If Plex had better sharing functionality, it would meet all the requirements on it is own. However, I believe this has been a long-standing shortcoming of Plex and unlikely to be addressed anytime soon.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Umm, Plex CAN enforce sharing restrictions per folder/library for sure.