Phone WiFi issues

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

bds1904

Aug 30, 2013
I picked up a 2.4 only Mesh to try out we'll see :)
What model did you pick up?

Be aware that the older OM2P series of AP are depreciated. AFAIK the ones currently sold on the site are of the "current generation". While the older ones are still supported they can not run current firmware. There will be several features that will not be present in the controller if you are using an OM2P series AP in your home network configuration.

The nice thing is that you can set it up and play with it, then if/when you upgrade AP's (hopefully to the OM5p-AC series, the ones for $135) you simply swap out the WAP in the controller & plug the new one in. The new WAP will self configure and do software updates at that point. Voila, you have an 802.11AC mesh network.

The OM2P-HS & up are both 24V passive POE and 802.3af POE.

Last edited:

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Well I surely didn't expect (didn't read up on it my own fault) to need the internet to setup, manage, and provide my private network to for Open Mesh. :eek: People and business openly provide their exact locations, network passwords, etc, to a central location... wow this is scary.

aero

Apr 27, 2016
No experience with OpenMesh here, but that sounds a lot like what Meraki requires. I think cloud managed network solutions are a really bad idea.

I've had great success with Ubiquiti AP's, although I've not yet used the AC models.

bds1904

Aug 30, 2013
Well I surely didn't expect (didn't read up on it my own fault) to need the internet to setup, manage, and provide my private network to for Open Mesh. :eek: People and business openly provide their exact locations, network passwords, etc, to a central location... wow this is scary.
You don't have to, you can upload a layout that you can use. It won't be location based at that point. As far as your password goes, it's not like WPA2 is secure at all anyways. If someone wants it, they'll get in.

I keep a close eye on what goes in and out of my network. The management for open-mesh connects to a server with what appears to be an encrypted VPN, at least AES256. The only traffic that goes over that link appears to be management traffic and statistics.

Again, that's why I have 2 choices for wifi. One cloud managed, one not. In all reality though, no network with wifi is secure.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
You don't have to, you can upload a layout that you can use. It won't be location based at that point. As far as your password goes, it's not like WPA2 is secure at all anyways. If someone wants it, they'll get in.

I keep a close eye on what goes in and out of my network. The management for open-mesh connects to a server with what appears to be an encrypted VPN, at least AES256. The only traffic that goes over that link appears to be management traffic and statistics.

Again, that's why I have 2 choices for wifi. One cloud managed, one not. In all reality though, no network with wifi is secure.
Exactly.
My wiFi network is reaching out and making connection to another server/network... not sure why any network admin would be comfortable with that.

People are giving up security for ease of use way way way to rapidly, and easily now.

Comparing a WiFi network security to a device sitting on your private network that reaches out on the Internet is not really =... one requires physical presence the other opens it up to the world / attack if open-mesh had security issue then EVERY CLIENT instantly is at risk... extremely scary.

I'll be returning this device.

Reactions: aero

aero

Apr 27, 2016
Maybe get a couple tplink archer c7's. Relatively low cost, and I hear good things about them. Nothing fancy.

I'd position one to service most ofthe house, and the other primarily for the rear/patio/yard. Set on different channels to not interfere, and play with the power levels to get the handoffs how you'd like them.

It can take a lot of trial and error.

And some devices just aren't good at dropping from one ap and associating with a better signal strength one. ...older ipads in particular.

Or drop a lot of money on smarter controller based system like cisco aironet.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Thanks @aero I'll check that out.

Some are saying the Unifi AC AP's are working with the S7s so may go that route too, maybe I'll just have to order a handful to find the one that works and then return rest to amazon :cool:

mason736

Mar 17, 2013

Some are saying the Unifi AC AP's are working with the S7s so may go that route too, maybe I'll just have to order a handful to find the one that works and then return rest to amazon :cool:
I had a friend stop over today with a new S7
Edge and he was able to get on my guest network with no issues, and browse the net just fine. I run 4 Uniquiti AC LRs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rubylaser

Jan 4, 2013
Michigan, USA

I have 2 AC lites and one LR and my S7 works on all of them. I hope you get this figured out. No wifi on your phone, when you are so remote, stinks.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
UBNT AC LR - Both S7 don't work on it again. I tried only 2.4 and only 5ghz nope, nothing. They are both 'connected' and fine in the controller, and both have IPs but "internet" has issues for both as nothing loads. Tried different channels, signal strength, etc... Nope, no go.

Keep in mind 'open mesh' worked just fine plug and go... can't get any of the Unifi stuff to work at all (worked last few years fine though on s4/s5).

Any other ideas?

wildchild

Feb 4, 2014
T-minus.. go to the beta forum.. there is a firmware that seems to fix most mobile problems for lite and lr

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Thanks @wildchild I signed up as user ontheir site, went to account went to 'beta program' and it's just a spinning circle icon :( nothing loads. Just my luck. Tried Chrome, and FireFox.

Do you by chance have latest AP Beta you can share/send me?

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
It did not work on either of our phones.
I rebooted mine, nothing... reset all settings re: WiFi on mine and powered off and on and it started working.
NOTHING I did on my wifes phone would allow it to 'work on the internet'...
I posted on the UBNT forums in this firmware thread stating the issue, and someone replied that some Samsung TVs require the 'power saving' option to be checked under the WiFi network... went in there checked that, and reset my wifes phone again (forget wifi, reboot), and her phone started working.

So, right now everything is working again :)

Thanks @wildchild

cheezehead

Sep 23, 2012
Midwest, US
Since it was working with everything else before the S7, i'd be more inclined to think there is a crap driver supplied in the particular version of an S7. You could try loading cyanogenmod on it to rule out the crap wifi driver issue.....we've seen more than a few issues in the past with carrier "customizations" borking up the wifi drivers

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Well it worked for 2 days then stopped, I got frustrated and gave up. Spending too much $ and time to get phone WiFi working.
At my house this means very very slow 3G, so almost 0 phone browsing which isn't done too often anyway... but it affects my ability to auto-sync my dropbox images from my phone!! Today I Thought I'd try it to sync images and bam it worked again. I took a screenshot of the WiFi Network config from the UniFi controller web interface so if it doesn't work again I can force that channel, network, etc...