pfsense VM dhcp for lab

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

modder man

Jan 19, 2015
I have my home router LAN connected to the WAN port of the Pfsense VM. Currently all of my VM's are pulling dhcp from the home router not from the Pfsense box. Do I have the vSwitch mis-configured or?

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
Looks about right to me.
Are you sure, you didn't invert the order of the NICs? If you are using the wrong ports, the pfsense router shouldn't be getting an IP .

Also are you sure it is not the DC that is assigning IPs?

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
Another thought, perhaps you have some kind of loop going on?
The mgmt interface is on the same vSwitch as what I am guessing is supposed to be the LAN of the pfsense instance.

If the pfsense instance LAN interface should only be connected to a separate network only for VMs, you should create a new vSwitch without a NIC connected to it.

modder man

Jan 19, 2015
thats acutally what i was just wondering. also wondering about the possibility of having the physical nics crossed on my vswitch config

archangel.dmitry

Sep 11, 2015
US
The only reason, I can see that you swapped WAN and LAN. Also if vmnic0 is in the same VLAN as vmnic1, it could cause DHCP problems as well.

I have a NIC connected to LAN side of pfsense and it works just fine.

modder man

Jan 19, 2015
I had a loop going from the management network. By segregating those out I no longer have any issues.