pfSense virtualized and high availability

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

NetWise

Jun 29, 2012
Edmonton, AB, Canada
I was hoping someone here with some pfSense experience could help me with some understanding as I go to try something out in my home lab.

I'm looking to see if I can't reduce some physical equipment (and thus U space, power, cooling, etc) and go with a virtual only firewall solution.

In my environment, I have a C6100 based cluster with SAN that runs all the cluster/SAN type requirements as expected. Then there is a C2100 with tons of disk that runs my media server as well as the secondary node of anything that has a primary on the C6100 cluster and needs to be available. This lets me kick everything down to a bare minimum C2100 and turn off the C6100, some of the switching, the SAN, etc, and keep the lights on, as it were.

I'm looking to do similar with two HA firewall VM's - one in the cluster and one of the C2100.

It seems to me that I could do all of this with VLAN's and simple:
* Bring the internet in on a switch port as a VLAN99 perhaps for untrusted/red/external (Internet)
* have any existing VLAN's be handled with multiple vNIC's in the firewall VM
* have any required intra-firewall connectivity for heartbeat/clustering.

It looks like pfSense can do a pretty good job of this, in theory.

This thread - https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/dual-failover-pfsense-with-bridged-wan.3345/ - suggests that something similarish can be done. It also talks about needing a number of IP's from the ISP side - Router1/Router2/RouterVirtual - which makes sense and I can accomodate. It would be more ideal though, if it just presented as one IP to the outside world, as it would make it more portable to me.

Any tips or tricks or gotchas? Am I better off just trying to do this with hardware instead - which I'd like to avoid if I could.

Thanks in advance!

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I actually want to do something very much like this but with my main desktop + the C2550 box. I am just extremely time limited these days.

It used to be an issue with Hyper-V and CARP if I am remembering correctly.

NetWise

Jun 29, 2012
Edmonton, AB, Canada
Ditto. Doing two gigs right now. But I'll find the time, I'm tired of having used ASA's or SSG's get away from me. And I want to embrace 'SDDC' more. So I'll see how far I get and post updates.

NetWise

Jun 29, 2012
Edmonton, AB, Canada
First hurdle I think I'm going to find is this requirement for each router to have it's own actual IP and the virtual IP. My current ISP can give me more than 1 IP, but in order to do so, it must DHCP. This has been the problem with using an SSG in that any MIP/VIP address can't get a DHCP assignment. This is where I'm expecting the issue to be. So I guess that's where I start... :)

Brady Webb

Jan 24, 2015
Just because your ISP gave you multiple IP's doesn't mean that your NIC has to use DHCP to get the address....
You'd manually enter whichever routable you chose to use, and if you need more devices using routable IPs, you could use a 1:1 NAT, configuring the other routable IPs as secondary IPs on the main NIC

NetWise

Jun 29, 2012
Edmonton, AB, Canada
Just because your ISP gave you multiple IP's doesn't mean that your NIC has to use DHCP to get the address....
You'd manually enter whichever routable you chose to use, and if you need more devices using routable IPs, you could use a 1:1 NAT, configuring the other routable IPs as secondary IPs on the main NIC
I'm afraid sir, I've tried and tried. Shaw mandates you must use DHCP to get your address(es). If you don't, then the IP/MAC isn't active. Thereby, making virtual NIC's on their side of the network doesn't work. I've tried numerous times with Juniper SSG's I've had no issues with other ISP's for, and it just doesn't work. You MUST get that IP via DHCP, even if they give you a non-changing Static IP. I was never able to get a secondary MIP or VIP going.

I'm more than willing to try again, but I suspect I'll get the same results.

Brady Webb

Jan 24, 2015
Well if your modem has multiple ethernet ports, you could always install another physical nic, then directly map the VNIC?