Pfsense under Hyper-V issue with teamed host Nics

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Darkytoo

Jan 2, 2014
I'm having a really weird issue with pfsense. I'm running Pfsense 2.1 under Hyper-V 2012r2. the issue is the server had 4 NICs which are teamed together and assigned to a virtual switch, which is then assigned to the VM. The guest VM doesn't see teaming, only a single NIC. The issue is if the team contains more than 1 NIC, the internet goes up and down every few minutes, which seems to be related to which NIC the traffic is coming from. As soon as the second NIC is removed, it goes back to normal. I've tried enabling MAC spoofing on the host for the VM, but that didn't help. I've posted in the pfsense forums also but nobody has responded yet.

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
Hate to say this but that is a pretty complex setup if you are trying to do BSD on Hyper-V. Linux and Windows are good on Hyper-V. Other OSes can create problems. Add onto this the teaming part and seems like there is a high chance for failure.

Here's an idea... do you have logs? You may be able to see what is going on in either the pfsense or windows logs. That would be my first troubleshooting step.

Darkytoo

Jan 2, 2014
yeah, I like things complex, what can I say? I've actually tried other linux router software, but it was never as easy for me to use as pfsense. With version 2.1 of pfsense, it plays much better with hyper-v than older versions. There wasn't anything in the windows logs files, i'll have to check the pfsense one too.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Couldn't you just present the NICs separately to pfsense (one NIC per vSwitch) and let pfsense manage the teaming?

Darkytoo

Jan 2, 2014
I don't think pfsense can do teaming, but even if it could, I don't know if I could, i already have 5 nics assigned to it for my VLANS. The issue is that all of the hosts have the same networking and use the same vswitches, so either I make another vswitch without teaming for just pfsense, or I cut the bandwidth to the other servers. Yes, technically this is for HA, but it's more to just make pfsense use the same networking all the other servers do.