pfSense NAT clear as mud

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
:( Trying to open a port for Blue Iris and I'm not understanding what pfSense is saying.

What's the difference between Dest. Address / Dest. Port and NAT Address / NAT Port?

There's only on destination ip / port, on the lan so why does pfSense specify 2 Destinations? :(

Sean Ho

seanho.com
Nov 19, 2019
Vancouver, BC
seanho.com
Forwarding inbound traffic to the WAN IP on a defined port to the BI host? "Destination" would be the WAN IP, "Redirect target" would be the BI host. Are you tunnelling via VPN?

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Nope, no vpn.

"Forwarding inbound traffic to the WAN IP" doesn't make any sense. Inbound traffic should be forwarded to the BI Server, right?

To me, destination is the BI Server.

Now I'm more confused,

EDIT: Got it working. Read on the Netgate site that Destination should be WAN Address. I changed it and BI started working.

I had it in my head that "Destination" was the BI server and the traffic was coming from the WAN. I took a screen shot of the correct config so hopefully next time I have to go thru this I'll know the correct way.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
yeah it is confusing, sorry I should also have clarified! Take traffic inbound on destination IP (WAN) and forward to target (BI).
Thanks. I just renewed my support subscription and now all is well again. :)