pfSense - HP T620+ vs Dell Wyse 5070

Discussion in 'Networking' started by yogi_en, Dec 18, 2019.

1. yogi_en

yogi_en New Member

Hello,

I am in the process of replacing my router ( USG from Ubiquiti as of now ) with a pfsense box. After some research, I narrowed down to the following models.
    • HP T620 +
    • Dell Wyse 5070 Extended
    I have a 100/10 Mbps connection as now. Will be upgrading to 250/10 Mbps some time in future. I plan to use the following services.
    • Vpn Client and Sever
    • IPS/IDS ( Surricata?)
    • pfBlocker ( I have a pi-hole and thinking of replacing that )
    • ntopng or similar for some network status graphs.
    I am looking for a low power device.
    I came across this thread which says Dell uses less power than HP. If that is the case I would like to go ahead with Wyse as it is more powerful.

Please provide your inputs!.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
  2. Evan

Evan Well-Known Member

Don’t let that reddit thread confuse you as to the TDP of a CPU have must relation to power consumption even more so over different vendors CPU as they simply measure even TDP different.
    No doubt the actual power consumption is not too different.

I have no comment about either of these and pfSense though. I would imagine either is fine for 250mbps down speed without any issues and the VPN etc is anyway limited by upstream traffic limits rather than CPU.

3. yogi_en

yogi_en New Member

Thanks for the reply. I am confused by the following statement.

Are you saying that the reddit thread information about power consumption is not accurate?. Do you know which device will consume more power?

4. BeTeP

BeTeP Active Member

I do not know if you paid any attention to the price difference. Make sure that you are comparing apples to apples. The Dell model being discussed in the reddit thread you linked is "Dell Wyse 5070 Extended". The regular 5070 model does not have the PCIe slot. So the problem is that while regular Wyse 5070 sells at similar price point with T620Plus the extended version sells for more than twice as much.

5. yogi_en

yogi_en New Member

Thanks. I did check the price. I can see Dell Wyse Extended in ebay for around 180$ now with out Intel PCI Card ( the reddit post mentions 150$ ) and T620+ for around 140 ( with Intel PCI card ). I am OK spending another $50 for Dell Wyse extended because it has better processing power and is future proof. My main concern is with respect to power consumption.

6. Evan

Evan Well-Known Member

Yes the Reddit thread is totally wrong.
    Using TDP of a CPU is not an accurate way to determine power consumption.

May idle both units consumed 4.5 - 5.0 watts, both have 65w psu in the default config.
    Note the wyse extended chassis idles at 9.7w with a 130w adapter.

At load neither unit has details but probably not that different either, besides most time is spend idle anyway. Also not idle figures are windows OS or Linux thin client that is optimized, BSD (pfsense base OS) you can probably expect higher usage.

HP t620 Flexible Thin Client Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

https://thinclientbenefits.com/uplo...0-Executive-Summary-and-Specs-Sheet-Final.pdf

yogi_en likes this.
  7. yogi_en

yogi_en New Member

Thanks. This helps. The links are useful!

8. zack$

zack$ Active Member

Just as an aside, why not a T730 for $140?

HP T730 Thin Client 2.70GHz AMD RX-427BB 32GB SSD 8GB RAM WES 7P64 AMD R7-1024MB 889894471475 | eBay

yogi_en likes this.
  9. BeTeP

BeTeP Active Member

Your 5070 price seems about right but I have never paid more than $80 shipped for the T620+ (base config) - thus my claim about more than double price difference. But I do agree that 5070 being more recent system is worth some extra.

10. fohdeesha

fohdeesha Kaini Industries

yogi_en likes this.
  11. yogi_en

yogi_en New Member

I didn't explore using HP 730 , mainly because I didn't see much information on using HP 730 for pfSense. Most of the post that I came across is about HP 620+. Having said that I am open to using HP730, if that is a better choice. Seems to be cheaper than Wyze 5070.

Any information on installing pfSense on this?

Can you please indicate what are the better options?

EDIT: Saw this post in the forums here. Look like T730 consumes more power!. Any thoughts?

FYI guys... I played around with my T730 over the weekend and found that it idled around 15.8W as measured by a Kill-A-Watt. This is significantly higher than the T620PLUS, which was about 6.9W. If the T730 were to be used as a network appliance with an add-on NIC, my guess is that it would be close to 20W. So, although T730 is more powerful than T620PLUS, if you aren't going to make use of the extra compute power, the T620PLUS seems like the better choice as far as network appliance goes.

BLinux, Aug 20, 2018

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
  12. zer0sum

zer0sum Active Member

I used to use a T620 with a 4 port nic and it was awesome :)

But, I've since switched to a mini-itx server based on an AsRock Rack E3C224D2I, running ESXi with OPNsense and other perimeter stuff like collectors and sandboxes etc.
    I actually like having it virtualized better, because I can switch firewall brands any time I like, and can do snapshots before upgrades :)

Next time I'll try one of the various micro firewall appliances on Amazon/Alibaba etc. for $250
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072ZTCNLK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=AZEYJ27R4YB41&psc=1
    • Intel Quad Core Atom E3845, 64 bit, 1.9GHz, 2MB L2 Cache
    • Fanless with passive heatsinks
    • Full AES-NI hardware support
    • 4x Intel Gigabit Ethernet NIC ports
    • DDR3L RAM
    • mSATA SSD
    • 1x USB 2.0
    • 1x USB 3.0
    • 1x RJ-45 COM (serial)
    • 1x VGA

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019