Pfsense box for cheap $72

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

foureight84

Jun 26, 2018
I picked up a Datto DNA-VZ5 not too long ago for $40. If you can find one of those that would be a great PFsense box. The model I picked has a revised atom c2000 with the hardware bug corrected. There were a few sellers on eBay a month back off loading them for $80 brand new. Hopefully that deal will resurface.

I believe you can mod it to add 3 more ram slot to get 32gb out of the thing. I haven't had the time to solder on the ram slots to validate this theory. If it works, it would be a great Proxmox PFsense and openwrt lxc all in one box.

Last edited:
Reactions: aloe, e97 and Samir

e97

Jun 3, 2015
If you can spend a bit more, I'd suggest the Wyse 5070 with J5005 for $109, bit faster single core performance and quad core vs dual core of 3215U, 10W vs 15W TDP and 7x the L1 cache.

Passmark Comparison: Intel Pentium Silver J5005 @ 1.50GHz vs Intel Celeron 3215U @ 1.70GHz [cpubenchmark.net] by PassMark Software

Thats the extended version so you can use a half height PCIe NIC or swap the Wi-Fi into another NIC which is what I did

Make sure you get the card with the pins going horizontally otherwise the case won't close. They also have 2.5G card available now.

There's also a 3D printed bracket adapter: Dell Wyse 5070 Ethernet Adapter by examiner

I have a couple extra brackets, send me a PM.

Last edited:

aloe

Aug 17, 2019
If you can spend a bit more, I'd suggest the Wyse 5070 with J5005 for $109, bit faster single core performance and quad core vs dual core of 3215U, 10W vs 15W TDP and 7x the L1 cache.

Passmark Comparison: Intel Pentium Silver J5005 @ 1.50GHz vs Intel Celeron 3215U @ 1.70GHz [cpubenchmark.net] by PassMark Software

Thats the extended version so you can use a half height PCIe NIC or swap the Wi-Fi into another NIC which is what I did

Make sure you get the card with the pins going horizontally otherwise the case won't close. They also have 2.5G card available now.

There's also a 3D printed bracket adapter: Dell Wyse 5070 Ethernet Adapter by examiner

I have a couple extra, send me a PM.
Nice points

Reactions: Samir

elvisimprsntr

May 9, 2021
Florida
Another seller has them for $60. Qotom Q310p 3215u Mini PC COM Serial Port IPC POS Computer RS-232 4GB 32GB SSD | eBay

What's nice about the Qotom Q305P/Q310P are the serial ports. You can connect a Garmin GPS 16X/18X to run a NTP Stratum 0 GPS Source.

I added a Crystalfontz LCD display and submitted a pull request to add a NTP screen to the LCDproc package.

Last edited:

bvd

Jan 2, 2021

I have a couple extra, send me a PM.
This is the way to go IMO - they've a lot more horsepower than their 4 cores would have you believe, outperforms the 8 core rangeley CPU (which was used in TONS of network gear from various vendors for years) in just about every way, and at roughly half the power usage to boot!

aloe

Aug 17, 2019
This is the way to go IMO - they've a lot more horsepower than their 4 cores would have you believe, outperforms the 8 core rangeley CPU (which was used in TONS of network gear from various vendors for years) in just about every way, and at roughly half the power usage to boot!
Excellent points. You seem to have found the real deal!

Reactions: Samir

heromode

May 25, 2020
Another seller has them for $60. Qotom Q310p 3215u Mini PC COM Serial Port IPC POS Computer RS-232 4GB 32GB SSD | eBay

What's nice about the Qotom Q305P/Q310P are the serial ports. You can connect a Garmin GPS 16X/18X to run a NTP Statum 0 GPS Source.

I added a Crystalfontz LCD display and submitted a pull request to add a NTP screen to the LCDproc package.

Nice, i bookmarked your post, if i someday get around to adding a local GPS based NTP source to my Wyse 5070 running OPNsense.

On the Wyse, as briefly discussed in another big thread about it, is one of it's serial ports has a "P" next to the ioio logo, which i assume means powered. That would be awesome for a GPS receiver needing only a single serial cable.

iirc nobody was able to find any reference or pinout, to identify which pin is powered. But i still hold on to my dream of hooking a GPS receiver to it.

elvisimprsntr

May 9, 2021
Florida
iirc nobody was able to find any reference or pinout, to identify which pin is powered. But i still hold on to my dream of hooking a GPS receiver to it.
Powered RS-232 is likely pin 9. It would depend on regulated vs un-regulate voltage, and current capability.
Only the Garmin 18X LVC has a PPS output required for time synchronization and requires regulated 5V, which can be powered from USB. Similar situation for the Garmin 16X models.

Last edited:
Reactions: e97 and heromode