Perplexed* I have purchased and built a nice server, not doing what i want it to......

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

christopher kuhn

Mar 20, 2015
I hope i posted this in the right place. I just noticed there is a vmware section, I am thinking this problem is with my build though.

Ok so for starters this is my first question on this forum and I want to take some time to thank the community, I have used this website for years and it has come to the rescue at times. I am hoping this falls in line with a much needed knight in shinning armor. Also please excuse my poor grammar. So here is my problem.

I play alot of MMOs in my spare time and have really gone into extended play in one called ArcheAge. The limiting factor in this game is a rare resource called labor points. the entire game revolves around this points and the only way to get them (or at least the best way) is to keep your character*s online. So me being the super genius i am i looked into the rules and found you can run as many characters as you want, there is no limit as long as your doing the controlling and not any software moving your characters. I quickly installed the archeage game onto my gaming desktop and gaming laptop and started 2 characters. I soon realized 2 was not enough so i decided to install and run vmware player on my laptop which was easy enough to get working with help, it is hard to get VM to play direct X gaming. I have a total of 6 vms and 1 main game going on my laptop and no desire to add vms to my desktop because i want the entire thing for performance. Long story short i wanted to have even more characters so i purchase the following hardware.

Norco RPC4220 case.
1 Intel DBS2600CW2 Server Board.
2 Xeon E5-2620 v3 Hexa-core (6 Core) 2.40 GHz Processor
1 Crucial 64GB Kit (16GBx4) DDR4 2133 MT/s
2 500GB samsung evo SSD 850 seris
1 intel 530 ssd
1 GTX 970 evga
1 microsoft 8.1 pro (also tried server 2012 r2 w/ hyper v and remote fx)

My problem is that after everything is put together i can not seem to run the vms without them freezing. I think i have tried every KB article vm ware offers and the gaming community is also stumped as to why this is occurring for me. The server works flawlessly at normal server stuff just not these vms. I can not see anything in the vmware logs becuase the vm locks up and only way to restart it is to stop all process. I can play the game for a minute or so before the freeze occurs. Any help is much appreciated.

If i can not get this working i will be selling this and just buying another simaler laptop to what i have and settle for 15 accounts instead of 50 :p

Thanks in advance also! I AM VERY THANKFUL for even remote guesses. Also i have scoured the bios and not found anything out of place at least that points to a problem.

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
Maybe VMware vsga or something similar?

You are unlikely to be hardware limited with that build. Also, I'd imagine you are already running low resolution on all of them.

Finally, are you doing any logging?

christopher kuhn

Mar 20, 2015
Hey Jeggs101,

I Agree with not being hardware limited or so I hope. And i have each VM set to 1024x768 inside the settins / preferences. Logging? VMware is logging on its own using a built in log file but it is very vague, Looking at the logs nothing pops into mind but when i get home from work in a bit i will post them on this thread. Below are the exact steps taken to get the vm working

1- install windows 8.1 - my spec are ( 4 cpu , 60gb size , 6gb ram ) you can do 3~4gb ram and it will work fine for 1 client
2- install vmware drivers ( to get graphic card updated )
3- install directx9 , and disable windows defender <~~ make sure of this step
4- install the game ( just install don't run it yet )
5- turn off vmware and edit vmx file add these data

6- run vmware edit register using ( Run ) -> ( regedit )
find ( @oem9.inf;%svga%;VMware SVGA 3D ) replace it with () <~~ replace it with empty data ( if this step shows error then use offline register editor or hiren's boot
find all ( VMware SVGA 3D ) replace them with ( GTX 660 ) <~~ i did this
7- reboot your pc and run the game

advice 1 : disable all windows visual settings to increase performance
advice 2 : run game as window mode and NOT full mode
advice 3 : lower game quality if you gonna run more than 1 client make lowest in the settings ^_^

Ironicaly enough thats all it took on my lenovo laptop. I am almost thinking of just removing the GTX 970 and trying with the built in GPU, it is some really low powered 2d gpu offered by Intel but who knows, i am willing to try anything. Also i have come across many other forum posts related to this exact problem. Most people come out unsuccessful but i will not take defeat unless it is shoved down my throat, here are some examples of 100's of people having the same issue as myself.

Simple tips how to run archeage in vmware - Page 10

VMware - Page 6

Those two posts i have followed along with and to no avail no success. Thanks for the reply look forward to posting my vmware logs.

Shadow.X

May 8, 2015
Are you trying to accelerate the vm's using your gpu at all?

It seems like you built the new machine with 2xE5-2620's then installed windows 8.1, installed the drivers for the gtx970, then used vmware player to create the vm's. Is this correct?

I would first try make sure your gtx970 Drivers are installed and your machine can run the game natively before you try the vm's. Also, why are you editing the vm to use a gtx660? Have you tried editing it to use a gtx970 instead?

christopher kuhn

Mar 20, 2015
I just got to thinking and tried everything related to my GTX card. Switched to a Radeon r9 285. And it's working fine. I really wish my gyx worked but I guess you sometimes can't have your cake amd eat it to. Thank you all for your responses.