Performance testing

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Derf

May 31, 2013
I'm having some performance issues streaming video from my NAS and I'd like to identify where the problem is. Last night I was trying to watch a 4.2GB 1080p MP4 movie on an AppleTV2 outputting 720p. Several times during the movie the stream would stop to buffer. In some cases the AppleTV informed me that my network might not be fast enough to play the movie.

I'd like to try to diagnose my bottle neck but I don't know how to do so. Is it
a) the Microserver / NAS hardware
b) the NAS software (OmniOS / Napp-it / Mediatomb)
c) the AppleTV2
d) the wifi signal/throughput
e) the network protocol (NFS)

I upgraded my OmniOS to the latest stable (R151018), and Napp-it to the latest free (16.07f). Its running on an HP micro server N54L (AMD Turion II Neo dual core 2.2Ghz - Passmark score 1397). I also have upgraded the RAM to 16GB.

I'm sharing a volume through the Mediatomb add-on 0.3.2 that has several movies to a AppleTV2. The network protocol is NFS.

The Microserver is a little bit older, but it isn't doing transcoding and it has a good amount of RAM.
The software is all up to date.
The AppleTV2 is a little bit older too, but it isn't doing upconverting, just down converting 1080p to 720p.
The wifi signal shows on the ATV2 as 4 out of 5 bars

How can I do some diagnostics to measure performance of these components?

My primary computer is a mac running OS X 10.11.6. I don't have any windows computers. As a backup server I love the ZFS filesystem and I've navigated fairly well on OmniOS / Napp-it. But as a NAS this is clearly not a viable solution at the moment and I need to nail down the problem.

Last edited:

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
If I had to guess, it is WiFi or the ATV2s.

1080p mp4 is only 8-12Mbps if I am remembering correctly. That is a very low load for a storage device, even with spinning disks. Reading a video file is largely a sequential read which is a use case where hard drives do well.

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
I would download a testtool for video performance ex the free AjA performance tool for OSX.

Set Aja to 4k video and RGB and compare read/write values from your mac
- cable vs wifi
- NFS vs SMB2

use a large test size like 16 or 64GB and look at the graphs over time (stability)

Reactions: MiniKnight