Perc 6i... jbod?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

vanfawx

Jan 4, 2015
Vancouver, Canada
No, the perc 6/i is a LSI 1078 controller, not a 2008 controller. As far as I know, this controller doesn't support JBOD nor cross-flashing to an IR firmware or IT firmware.. However you can export each individual disk as RAID0.

Lost-Benji

Jan 21, 2013
The arse end of the planet
The PERC's are OK little things. Best used for the local storage inside the server. The 6/i is a RAID card while the 6/iR is realy just a HBA, both are limited to 3GbPS. Spinning discs are OK.

Now, you mentioned that you wish to use this system as a NAS, not sure how long you have sat near a 2950 running but noise will kill any deal if the server is going to be anywhere away from a noisy server rack. They other killer, these servers were designed to work and thus aint great on power efficiency. I still use 2950's and 1950's, old machines but bloody good and stable.

Dell PowerEdge RAID Controller (PERC)

P.S The PERC's do allow JBOD, each drive is created as a single VD and then will appear to the OS.