PDB-PT747-4648 - $80 (Sold Out)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

thedman07

Sep 14, 2020
This is sold out.

Supermicro PDB-PT747-4648 - $80

If you have a CSE 846 and you're looking for a way to run multiple GPUs without adapters, this is a good option. You can also use the PWS-1K28P-SQ on this without modification. The classic 920P-SQ will also work if you have those laying around.

These are $150 new at supermicro, but they never seem to be in stock, and they seem to be between $200 and $300 on ebay, but I think they don't move that quickly at those prices (understandably).

Last edited:

thedman07

Sep 14, 2020
Fwiw, if you're working with a CSE 836, here is the PDB with 6+2 PCIe connectors that I've successfully been using for a while: Supermicro PDB-PT825-36824 Rev. 1.0 Backplane Power Distributor 19-Pairs Input 818212421199 | eBay

Obviously, 3U means you're still limited to GPUs with power connector(s) on the rear.

PS: Using 920P-SQ with this one.
In the 836 I was using I used a 180 degree power adapter and it worked for a card that wasn't taller than the pcie slot. I also converted one of the 12V CPU power connectors on the PDU I had into a PCIE power connector. I wouldn't do it for a high power GPU, but it worked for a 1060 TI.

Reactions: Samir

FlorianZ

Dec 10, 2019
In the 836 I was using I used a 180 degree power adapter and it worked for a card that wasn't taller than the pcie slot. I also converted one of the 12V CPU power connectors on the PDU I had into a PCIE power connector. I wouldn't do it for a high power GPU, but it worked for a 1060 TI.
The 180 degree adapter didn't work for me for a full-height card. I was able to find a super low-profile adapter, but the through-hole solder joints poked through the foam insulation backing and shorted to the case. So, ymmv ;-)

Yeah, the CPU power adapter is a great option. On my PDB all four conductors are 18 AWG and connected to the 12V rail, so they should be able to carry a lot more current than a 8 pin PCIe connector.

Filez

Feb 18, 2019
can any of you please post pictures, how you are setting this up with multiple gpus?

thedman07

Sep 14, 2020
can any of you please post pictures, how you are setting this up with multiple gpus?
What kind of clarification are you looking for? This power distribution board has multiple 6 pin and 8 pin PCIe power connectors on it.

This was made for use in a different case, so you have to switch the metal bracket that comes with it out for the one that the original PDB in your case came on. From there it installs as usual and you have access to 1000W quiet power supplies and I think up to 2000W regular power supplies and multiple PCIe power connectors.

thedman07

Sep 14, 2020
For anyone who searches this one out, the PDU I received had the following connectors:
(1) 24pin
(1) 8 Pin EPS (CPU Power)
(1) 4+4 Pin EPS (CPU Power)
(1) 4 pin 12V CPU Power
(8) old style Molex power
(4) floppy power
(4) 6 Pin PCIe
(4) 6+2 Pin PCIe.
(1) SMBus Connector

There is one short EPS and one long, which is pretty typical. The 4 pin CPU power is somewhere in between.
There are 4 strings with 2 Molex and one floppy connector.
There are 4 strings with a 6 pin PCIe and a 6+2 pin PCIe.

The PSU List table that is floating around says there are only 6 molex connectors, but 8 is nice since the 846 backplanes take up 6, so I'll have a couple that I can convert to SATA or something like that if I need it. Now I get to use the PWS-1K28P-SQ's I bought accidentally and I just have to figure out what to do with all those sweet sweet PCIe connectors.