PCIe SSDs on older server question

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

katit

Mar 18, 2015
I think this is what you're looking for: https://linustechtips.com/topic/153...rted-motherboards-with-clover-a-simple-guide/

I didn't read all the details but it seems to accomplish boot from USB with the OS installed on NVMe.
In theory I understand, but I am confused here:

14. Now reboot your PC, and select boot drive to the USB/SD drive (either using boot menu shortcut or set it up manually via BIOS boot order). If you see the clover boot menu, congrats!
15. Now shutdown your PC, plug your NVMe drive (if not already), and try to boot from it. If your NVMe drive doesn't have any OS installed, please install it like usual.
16.Now, after installing either your NVMe drive or installing the OS inside it (or both), you can directly boot to the NVMe drive via the clover boot menu selector!
Step 15. What does it mean "install as usual"? Usually, I have bootable instal USB with ISO (made with Rufus). This is how I install OS.

So how do "install" after booting with clover?

nexox

May 3, 2023
Once you have the USB stick set up to hand over boot from the BIOS to the NVMe drive you should just be able to run your Windows install the regular way, making the NVMe volume your C:/ drive - if you like to do it from USB then get another stick for the ISO and don't mess with the clover one. To make more clover sticks I'd do something like dd in Linux to just blockwise copy the thing.

katit

Mar 18, 2015
Once you have the USB stick set up to hand over boot from the BIOS to the NVMe drive you should just be able to run your Windows install the regular way, making the NVMe volume your C:/ drive - if you like to do it from USB then get another stick for the ISO and don't mess with the clover one. To make more clover sticks I'd do something like dd in Linux to just blockwise copy the thing.

:) I am not getting it. Installing windows "regular" way for me - is to install it from USB bootable stick. It just starts (install) automatically. But it doesn't allow/support those NVMe disks as target for install. See previous page for detail.

Thats why I am not connecting 2+2. What is "normal/regular install" means?

nexox

May 3, 2023
I haven't seen a Windows installer in like 20 years so I can't help there, I'm not sure why it doesn't allow you to select them, perhaps if you boot the installer USB stick through the Clover stick that will convince Windows to allow the NVMe?

katit

Mar 18, 2015
I haven't seen a Windows installer in like 20 years so I can't help there, I'm not sure why it doesn't allow you to select them, perhaps if you boot the installer USB stick through the Clover stick that will convince Windows to allow the NVMe?
Yes, "boot installer USB stick through the Clover stick" is seem like how it's done.

On video below around 2:50 it's shows that. I need to try that

Reactions: nexox

katit

Mar 18, 2015
Just to double-check I tried booting again with only NVMe disks from Windows install USB
and got this. So, Clover should technically "fool" Windows installer to think that hardware "supports" booting from that disk?

IMG_0011 (1).jpg

nexox

May 3, 2023
I would guess that's what clover should do, but it seems like it's taking issue with the partition table type, which you can also change, unless that conflicts with something else Windows requires for your setup.

katit

Mar 18, 2015
I would guess that's what clover should do, but it seems like it's taking issue with the partition table type, which you can also change, unless that conflicts with something else Windows requires for your setup.
Partition is not a problem. I can remove/repartition right in wizard. Second error is what I was getting with brand new disks out of the box.

nexox

May 3, 2023
It's concerned that the partition table type is GPT, which requires UEFI to boot, and it can see you don't have that, there's nothing specific to NVMe here. The error may be different if you got it to use an MBR/DOS partition table type.

katit

Mar 18, 2015
It's concerned that the partition table type is GPT, which requires UEFI to boot, and it can see you don't have that, there's nothing specific to NVMe here. The error may be different if you got it to use an MBR/DOS partition table type.
This is how it was with new disk. And it wouldn't create partition larger than 2Tb
1712952922067.png

nexox

May 3, 2023
This all sounds like the kind of MS nonsense that made me quit Windows, I like an operating system that will happily let me break it without any attempts to protect me from my own questionable choices.

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
Get gparted bootable usb/cd first ... and remove everything from the disk, then write new partition table for dos/windows, also select legacy boot if you are doing clover.

katit

Mar 18, 2015
Yeah if you only need single thread performance they're a little more expensive, though compiling is generally one of the easiest workloads to scale out and, in my experience, generally benefits greatly from extra cores (I have 28c/56t in my desktop and every time I build something I just want more.) The other benefits to v2 are they're generally more power efficient so more cores can turbo clock higher before they hit the TDP limit.

Back when I ran Ivy Bridge CPUs I felt like the E5-2690 V2 was about the best performance before you started hitting those rarer extra-high-clock parts - there's an ebay auction for a pair right now that will probably get no bids and go for $16 with shipping included.
Replaced CPUs today and server wouldn't boot. It starts and shuts and starts and shuts.. Any idea what could be wrong?
I simply replaced CPUs (new paste)

nexox

May 3, 2023
I think you said you had the latest BIOS, but it might be worth double checking, because support for the V2 CPUs would have been added at some point with a BIOS update. Aside from that I'm not sure, I don't recall any TDP/Current limits from that generation, but it might be worth looking into.

nexox

May 3, 2023
I guess that W CPU has a 20W higher TDP than anything else in the E5 V2 line, perhaps that's the issue, if so it might be something you can mod, there's a long thread on here about adjusting arbitrary VRM limits, though it's mostly for newer motherboards, there might be something in there that will help.

katit

Mar 18, 2015
@nexox I think I will just go with 2x E5-2667 V2
Another week to deliver, but I am not in rush :)
CPUs in. Installed. Working. Next time - read specs better! (note to myself)

I decided not to mess with USBs but install Server on SSD mirror. 2x S3500s will work for that.

Its not "out of the box" either, but.. My next step is to install, and then break mirror and see what it takes to restore it

Reactions: nexox

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
CPUs in. Installed. Working. Next time - read specs better! (note to myself)

I decided not to mess with USBs but install Server on SSD mirror. 2x S3500s will work for that.

Its not "out of the box" either, but.. My next step is to install, and then break mirror and see what it takes to restore it

Just a note, if one of your dynamic disks in mirror goes down - your whole dynamic mirror will set as offline - thats why windows doesn't allow it - as you won't be able to start your system if 1st disk dies/gets removed.

Just get lsi 9400-8i tri-mode raid controller (they aren't that expensive)

It supports nvme raid1 and raid0

katit

Mar 18, 2015
Just a note, if one of your dynamic disks in mirror goes down - your whole dynamic mirror will set as offline - thats why windows doesn't allow it - as you won't be able to start your system if 1st disk dies/gets removed.
Is that a fact? Thanks! This way I don't have to even waste time on this. What is this video about then? What is the purpose of such mirror?
I thought it will work just fine with one disk out and all I need is to insert new disk, go to "Disk manager" and run some command to "restore"?

Just get lsi 9400-8i tri-mode raid controller (they aren't that expensive)
Then how do I manage mirror? What if this controller gives up? Can I move disk to SATA port and boot from it? I mean, is it just hard bitwise copy controller?

Also, how will it be presented to Windows? As single drive? will I see all drives in utilities like DiskInfo?

AND.. What tool would I use to monitor this mirror?

EDIT: Is this correct cable for my backplane? I have 8 disk bay empty/disconnected. Can I just get 2 of those cables, connect to LSI card and have all 8 disks working?

IMG_0068.jpg

EDIT2: And then again, it says "HOST BUS Type: PCIe"
And I wonder if this card will be hosting bootable drives??

EDIT3: @CyklonDX
What about this? For the same money I can just replace MB and it will work with all my stuff for sure..

It's same like mine but variation with additional 8 blue SATA ports. I believe it's got RAID controller on it..

Last edited: