PCIe 4.0 HBA's?

Sleyk

Mar 25, 2016
Stamford, CT
Ok my friends, here is my tech blog where I did a long write-up of all that I know and found out. Will make a direct thread post about it as well.

Check it out here: Sleyk's Tech Blog

It's just my personal blog, so you can go there and read, but I don't want you to comment or reply there, as I don't want it to take away readership or participation from here, so will make a dedicated post here on STH about the same as well.

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
Ok my friends, here is my tech blog where I did a long write-up of all that I know and found out. Will make a direct thread post about it as well.

Check it out here: Sleyk's Tech Blog
Firstly, thanks for the read. The cable situation does indeed seem to be even more bizarre than my preliminary research had suggested; luckily I'd be well served for my current desires by the regular 05-60003-00 8654 -> 2*8643 SAS/SATA breakout but glad to see an 8654 -> 8*8784 is technically possible.

Secondly, you're actually mad for making one :p You probably need to talk to a doctor about your caffeine intake.

Thirdly... how DARE you use a serif typeface for some cable numbers, and a sans-serif for others?! You've not even stuck with "serif for odds, sans-serif for evens" or anything remotely sensible :mad: Post reported.

Reactions: Sleyk

Sleyk

Mar 25, 2016
Stamford, CT
Firstly, thanks for the read. The cable situation does indeed seem to be even more bizarre than my preliminary research had suggested; luckily I'd be well served for my current desires by the regular 05-60003-00 8654 -> 2*8643 SAS/SATA breakout but glad to see an 8654 -> 8*8784 is technically possible.

Secondly, you're actually mad for making one :p You probably need to talk to a doctor about your caffeine intake.

Thirdly... how DARE you use a serif typeface for some cable numbers, and a sans-serif for others?! You've not even stuck with "serif for odds, sans-serif for evens" or anything remotely sensible :mad: Post reported.
Haha, my web design skills are trash :.)

I plan to hire somebody on Fiverr or something to redo the whole thing so it looks better, but for now its workable I guess? Lol.

Glad you enjoyed the read! I realize it was very long, but it has alot of info inside related to the new cables, so I wanted to throw it in there :)

My plan is now to get the low-profile cables up and running, and then we have a solid base to work with. I will probably post one or two online to gauge reception and see if it flies under the radar from the big companies. If so, then all we have to do is wait until we can get these cards cheaper :.)

Markito

Apr 19, 2021
For some reason it keeps getting detected as "potentially spam" even though I am a human being... so I created an account. Hopefully that will let me ask :)

I want an LSI card for FreeNAS that will last a while, and that'd be a 9500 series card. Would love to see some benchmarks before I buy, too. Any hope of STH refreshing the top-picks-freenas-hbas page on this site to include that line of cards? :D Skimmed Sleyk's write-up and loved it (will read later after work), and it looks like there's a way to go for the ecosystem to catch up when using PCIe 4.0 cards.

The machine I'm thinking of building is something like this:

AMD 5800X
ASUS WS Pro x570 ACE motherboard (with "three" x8 PCIe 4.0 slots; don't ask me how that third slot says 8x but goes through the chipset)
128GB ECC RAM
LSI card
(SECOND? LSI card? Maybe if using 9300 or 9207, I'll need two. But 9500 series... only one?)
Dual port 10gbe NIC in the 8x/4x slot
Cheapo 1x PCIe lane video card
1TB (or 2TB max) NVMe for boot/swap/fast storage that doesn't need redundancy

I want to run ESXi as the bare-metal OS and have a bunch of VMs:
  • FreeNAS running PCI-passthrough to the LSI card
  • PLEX server
  • Security camera VM
  • Personal Win10/MacOS VMs
  • Linux VMs
Thoughts? :) I'd much rather use a PCIe 4.0 card. But not sure about compatibility yet; ESXi supports it but will FreeNAS?

Sleyk

Mar 25, 2016
Stamford, CT
Hey brother, welcome :.)

So, 9500 cards will be compatible with Freenas of course, as its based on FreeBSD, it would just be a matter of them upgrading and including the drivers. The drivers for these cards will come from Broadcom.

As far as getting your hands on a SAS 4.0 card, that may be the tricky part. Alot of these cards are just becoming available, and from what Ive determined, the industry intends to push back the rollout of these cards for at least another year or two, due to the pandemic, and also to other issues. Many of the cables are creeping out, but alot of them are very much unavailable. Plus there are licensing holds on certain parts that companies have, that of course they arent making public, while they manufacture and build up their stockpiles.

I only know this from doing an in-depth deep dive and going to the companies directly. My best estimate is that these cards will start rolling out more easily within another year or so. Until then, a good card to get would be the latest 3.5 gen, like the 9400, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Markito

im.thatoneguy

Oct 28, 2020
It's strange/unfortunately that the 9500 cards are exclusively PCIe Gen4 x8. The 16i/16e cards mean that your NVMe drives are limited to four gen4 x2 (4GB/s) instead of four drives at the full x4 (8GB/s) bandwidth. That drives the cost up pretty substantially if you only run 2 drives per card.

Last edited: