PCIe 16x card in PCIe 4x slot?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Rhinox

May 27, 2013
My motherboard has only one PCIe 8x (now used by raid-controller) and a few PCIe 4x slots, and I need graphic card (passthrough to VM). Now my question is:

If I manage to fit PCIe 16x graphic card into PCIe 4x slot, will it work? All I need is GFX with "symbolic" DX11-support, with no extra performance required (only 2d). It is very difficult to find PCIe 4x/1x card, but I have a few PCIe 16x lying around...

I know a little hardware "tweaking" would be necessary: I'd have to cut open back side of PCIe 4x connector on mobo so that graphic card could protrude from connector (or cut part of graphic-card interface, but that's for sure more dangerous)...

lucidrenegade

Dec 12, 2011
If you go the riser cable route, I would get an x4 to x16 cable if you are using an x4 slot. You're perfectly fine using an x1 to x16, but you might as well get as much performance as you can.

JSchuricht

Apr 4, 2011
Most of the time it works fine but some mainboard/video card combos won't see a 16x card in a 1x or 4x slot due to the PCIe presence detect not functioning. To get around that you will need to short A1 with B17 on the PCIe slot.