PCI Express adapter card for Supermicro E301-9D-8CN4

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

hyppolab

Dec 12, 2019
Hi, I have this server in my homelab and I need to upgrade its networking capabilities by adding a 10G card. Which adapter should I buy, since it's a 1.5U and obviously the PCI Express cards will not fit on the motherboard naturally? Moreover, which 10G SFP+ card do you know it's compatible with VMware (considering I already know it's not in the matrix and thus I don't expect an official support but just a "community" assurance it will work)?

hyppolab

Dec 12, 2019
I know that there are cards that would fit but have you got some part numbers? I don't think that a random riser card would be sufficient.

hyppolab

Dec 12, 2019
I checked the box the server came with when I bought it (a couple of years ago now). I found the checklist placed by the manufacturer before closing the box, the same one I checked as soon as it arrived home. This is the list of the items that were checked (all of them were present):
  • MCP-240-30002-0N Riser card bracket
  • MCP-250-10128-0N Power Adapter
  • Screw bag
  • Zip tie bag
  • AS-E301-9D-8CN4
There is no sign of the riser card nor any reference to it. Did they start adding the riser card afterwards I bought my server or what?

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Did they start adding the riser card afterwards I bought my server or what?
the Riser ist not on the List. But inlcuded in the Chassis. Look inside ?
if the Riser is missing you now know which you need !
(Hint: RSC-RR1U-E16 )

hyppolab

Dec 12, 2019
the Riser ist not on the List. But inlcuded in the Chassis. Look inside ?
I actually took the server off and then apart. No joy.
Could it be that they started including the card after a certain date and I happened to have bought it before?

if the Riser is missing you now know which you need !
(Hint: RSC-RR1U-E16 )
Definitely! I noticed from the FAQ you posted before. Thanks anyway.

Last edited:

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Could it be that they started including the card after a certain date and I happened to have bought it before?
everything is possible. you may ask supermicro ? with luck they provide the "missing" part for free !