PCI-E 4X to quad 1X PCI-E?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

MESSERCHMIDT

Apr 16, 2015
for my old computer acting as a home server with an overclocked 6 core westmere chip and 12gb ram on gigabyte x58-ud4p,, i am basically out of pcie slots; I am looking for an inexpensive pcie expander / bifurcation card to split a 4x slot into quad 1x slots (something along those lines). I am not sure what I need. This is not for mining, etc. would hold 2x intel gigabit lan cards, a usb3 card, and a astc quad pcie tuner. I do not want to spend several hundred dollars on something with an external case, etc for this.

I am not sure what to buy. would something like this work? Mini 1X Slots Riser Card Multiplier Card PCIe 1 To 4 PCI Express Add on Cards | eBay

or will it just cause grief?

any suggestions? cards with PLX chips are expensive

was also wondering if there was something I could use to mount the cards in some 5.25 slots in the older thermaltake case I have the system in.

seems that a pcie bifurcation card with a buffer chip is what is needed

Last edited:

SeanFi

Aug 7, 2015
I've never looked into this much myself, but I don't think the card you listed actually bifurcates an existing 4x slot - the male connector that plugs into the existing slot is also 1x. Looks like some sort of basic PCIe switch? I'm not seeing any real electronics on that board that would do the switching, so I'm not sure how well it would work if at all. I have also heard before that motherboards can be picky about bifurcation, but YMMV.

To the other question, I've never seen something that would allow you to stuff PCIe cards into 5.25" bays, but anything is possible with a little ingenuity! You'd have to make a mount somehow, maybe 3D printed if you're into that sort of thing or just drilled out of plastic/fiberboard.