PCI AER, ACS, ARI

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

metebalci

Dec 27, 2022
Switzerland
What are the pros and cons of enabling these in the BIOS ? I believe ARI is a must, and ACS is desirable or also must for SR-IOV, so I am asking particularly when SR-IOV is not used (but passthrough is used). If it matters, I am using EPYC 7003 on H12SSL.

heromode

May 25, 2020
What are the pros and cons of enabling these in the BIOS ? I believe ARI is a must, and ACS is desirable or also must for SR-IOV, so I am asking particularly when SR-IOV is not used (but passthrough is used). If it matters, I am using EPYC 7003 on H12SSL.
Hello, i have no definite answer to your question, but wanted to note that if AER=Advanced Error Reporting, then i got a bunch of these on my proxmox server awhile back.. iirc it was from Solarflare 10Gbit nic that was partitioned with sriov for vm's. The error messages stated the error was corrected etc.. i didn't get alot, but like 10-20 a day.

I did some googling and found some dude that complained he had gigabytes of logs filled with these AER messages.

If that happens to you, you have 2 choices, disable AER reporting with kernel command line (or from BIOS in your case), which is not really a fix, or what worked for me, and for the guy with gigabytes of filled logs, disable pcie ASPM in kernel command line. (pcie_aspm=off) i think.

Not an answer, but just thought to type this in case someone is getting AER messages.. it's likely ASPM causing it. And ASPM sucks, because you only save a few watts, but it can cause all kinds of difficult to identify errors on pcie hardware. Nowadays i just always disable aspm from KCL regardless of BIOS settings.

metebalci

Dec 27, 2022
Switzerland
Not an answer, but just thought to type this in case someone is getting AER messages.. it's likely ASPM causing it. And ASPM sucks, because you only save a few watts, but it can cause all kinds of difficult to identify errors on pcie hardware. Nowadays i just always disable aspm from KCL regardless of BIOS settings.
Thanks for sharing. I also keep ASPM off.