Patch LC LC Fiber cable for 10GB nic

kevin wilson

Apr 4, 2015
Hi,
I am interested in connecting 10 GB ports of IXGBE nic by an optic cable. This nic have optical transcivers to which I can connect LC male to LC male fiber optic cable. A short, MMC cable is good for me. My question is: i am a newbie to optic cables. From the search I made in eBay, I do not see anywhere mentioning which is the speed that the cable which is sold supports - whether it is 1 GB, 10GB, 40 GB or 100 GB.
See for example,

1M Jumper Cable Duplex Multimode LC-LC LC To LC Fiber Optic Optical Patch Cord | eBay

How can I know - does the cable in the link above support 10GB ? And how can I know if it supports IXGBE nic ?

Regards,
Kevin

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
That's because the speed is not depending on the fibers but on the optics & electronics (=transceivers) used.
I assume ixgbe is an Intel nic and from what I know they can be picky about transceivers.

kevin wilson

Apr 4, 2015
Hi,
I need confirmation that my understanding is correct: as a general rule, given that the optical transceivers are the ones officially supported by the nic vendor, then any LC to LC fiber cable will do. And that same fiber cable can be used in 1GB setup, 10GB setup, 25 GB setup , 40GB, 100 GB and so on. There is no special requirement regarding speed from optic cables, and this is the reason that this is not mentioned in eBay/Amazon ads selling Fiber LC to LC cables. Is this correct?
Regards,
Kevin

Jerry Renwick

Aug 7, 2014
Hi,
I am interested in connecting 10 GB ports of IXGBE nic by an optic cable. This nic have optical transcivers to which I can connect LC male to LC male fiber optic cable. A short, MMC cable is good for me. My question is: i am a newbie to optic cables. From the search I made in eBay, I do not see anywhere mentioning which is the speed that the cable which is sold supports - whether it is 1 GB, 10GB, 40 GB or 100 GB.
See for example,

1M Jumper Cable Duplex Multimode LC-LC LC To LC Fiber Optic Optical Patch Cord | eBay

How can I know - does the cable in the link above support 10GB ? And how can I know if it supports IXGBE nic ?

Regards,
Kevin
Fiber optic cable can be broadly divided into single-mode and multimode fiber types. Single-mode fiber are short for OS1 and OS2. Mulitmode fiber are short for OM1, OM2, OM3 and OM4. Each of them have different specification and usage. For the detailed information, please see this blog : Comparison Between Different Fiber Optic Cable Types - Fiber Optic Solution And for the high-speed applications, there are several types of MTP cables.

How to choose what type of fiber patch cables for 1G, 10G, 40G and 100G setup, it depends on the devices of your network like fiber optic transceivers, NIC, router and siwtches. For example, 10G SR SFP+ cable operate over LC duplex multimode fibers, and 1000BASE-SX SFP modules also connect with LC duplex multimode fibers. That is to say, the LC-LC multimode fiber patch cables can be both used for 1Gbps and 10Gbps network since ebay doesn't mention it is the OM2/OM3/OM4.

In fact, some vendors provide clearer information (such as OS1, OS2, OM1, OM2, OM3 and OM4). From that, you can judge whether it is suitable for your network or not. But a newbie of telecommunication industry, you'd better consult with the rep before purchasing your goods.

pc_doom

Nov 2, 2016
Hi,
See for example,

Regards,
Kevin
Fiber optic cable can be used for all Gigabit Ethernet. 1G, 10G, 40G, or 100G, the transmission speed does not rely on the cable itself, but relied on the modules you used. For example, if you use a 10GBase-SR module, you have to choose a MMF duplex LC fiber optic cable, and the whole cable assembly can achieve 10G data rate.