Parts to Convert Dell R7515 to 2U Heatsink

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

PudgyChicken

Apr 20, 2024
I have a Dell R7515 that I purchased secondhand for a very good price with an AMD Epyc 7713P. However, it came with the standard 1U "high performance" heatsink (which the thermals matrix on Dell's site says is theoretically fine) and standard "Silver" tier fans (which the thermals matrix says are not appropriate given the TDP). Right now, with 19C ambient temp, I am sitting at 55C at idle, which is definitely much hotter than I would like it to be. It was initially about 83C before I repasted the CPU and made sure the heatsink was properly tightened down. I have already set all the configuration options in the BIOS to the most power and heat conservative options available.

The R7515 documentation from Dell indicates the existence of a 2U heatsink, but does not actually give the part number for it. Does anybody know what the part number is? And then to go with that, does anybody know what the part number is for the internal airflow shroud that is needed to go with the 2U heatsink?

Thanks so much!

ano

Nov 7, 2022
interested in this as well, mine run the fans a lot more than they should wasteing power there

cptcrunch

Dec 14, 2021
Kentucky

PudgyChicken

Apr 20, 2024
I think my concern with both is whether or not they fit with the default shroud that comes with the R7515. I don't imagine that removing the airflow shroud will improve thermal performance, so unless there's a part number for the appropriate shroud that goes with one of these other heatsinks, I am not sure that I would chance it.

Chriggel

Mar 30, 2024
I tried looking this up for you, but there are no heatsinks on Dell's price list for the R7515 and its options. Same for the 7525 which might use the same parts. For other models, they have a separate customer kit with heatsinks, but not for the R7515/R7525. And the air shroud is basically never available separately. This makes verifiying the correct parts more difficult and you have to rely on people taking apart their servers and sell them as spares.

1U heatsinks are usually the result of preparing a system for GPUs. This would usually mean fitting high performance fans as well. Your system may already be the result of someone throwing together parts in a way that wasn't intended.