Parting out media server

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

white-hot

Jan 8, 2013
Hello all

So I have recently upgraded from a DIY media server to a NAS system and I have a number of items that I will be selling, and I want to offer them here before putting them on eBay. Long time member of STH, and in fact I purchased some of the following items on these forums. For reference my eBay sellers credentials are here. All prices listed below are OBO in addition to actual shipping. Please contact me with any questions or for a shipping quote. All Items shipped from Huntsville Alabama. Thanks for looking!

TOPTON 2.5G Soft Router $170+shipping

TOPTON V4 Model C Celeron N5105 4x2.5G Intel i226-V NIC, bare bones (specs found here)

So after reading a number of posts about this small system here on STH I decided to get one as a pfSense router for my upgraded network. This is the v4 model that does not have as many issues with heat sinks and such. Sadly, it took almost 2 months to arrive and by that point I had moved in another direction. This one has never been used other than to verify that it works. I did not remove the mobo to reapply TIM as suggested in many post on these, but the alignment of heat sinks seems good. I am just wanting to recover what I paid on this, and you can get one without the looonnnggg wait, lol!

20230115_082924 (Small).jpg

Netgear GS116v1 $40+shipping

These things are just about as good as you can get for a small, high-density dumb switch, and they just last forever. I added this for my last network upgrade and has worked perfect since. Need some extra ports, this one will do the trick.

20230115_082955 (Small).jpg

Supermicro System $150+shipping (rather not separate)

Supermicro MBD-X8SIA-F-O LGA 1156 Motherboard (specs found here)
Intel Xeon L3426 LGA 1156 CPU (specs found here)
Crucial 16GB (4X4GB) CT51272BB1339.18FD1 PC3-10600 DDR3-1333MHz ECC (specs found here)

An oldie but a goody, has been rock solid for me, and was used as a media server for the last several years. As such has never seen heavy use under my ownership, but sat idle majority of time. Comes with box for board and CPU, RAM will ship seated on board.

20230113_091109 (Small).jpg
20230113_091319 (Small).jpg
20230113_111146 (Small).jpg

RAID Card with Expander $100+shipping (rather not separate)

LSI MegaRaid SAS 9280-4i4e RAID Card (specs found here)
Intel RAID Expander RES2SV240 24 Port SAS 6Gb Expander Card (specs found here)

Great setup, worked perfect for my media server needs. Added fans to both cards as you can see below. Does have the BBU mounting parts but battery does not come with it. Included with these cards are 4 1-meter breakout cables (SFF-8087 to SATA), 4 24-inch SFF-8087 cables and 2 12-inch SFF8087 cables.

20230113_090853 (Small).jpg
20230113_090846 (Small).jpg

HDD/SSD Enclosures

Icy Dock DuoSwap MB971SPO-B $25+shipping (specs found here)
This works great for doing backups to separate HHD's without need for a tray or a USB adapter. Just pop it in and go. Complete with all screws and box.

20230113_092244 (Small).jpg

Be Quiet Silent Base 800 Computer Case $100+shipping (specs found here)

Nice and roomy case with lots of room for drives and enclosures, and very quiet as well. Comes with all screws, fans and parts and in original box. Shipping will likely be a good bit due to size. Happy to combine items to save shipping cost.

20230113_133209 (Small).jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Samir

white-hot

Jan 8, 2013
What would shipping in the USA be?
Shipping via USPS varies based on your address, but for these 2 items should be in the $15-25 range. I currently have an offer for both of the 4x2.5 enclosures, just pending payment. Should that fall through I will let you know. Thank you to all who showed interest in those items!

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Totally joking. I will date myself, but I remember when the VESA bus came out and video cards got a huge leap forward :D
And I remember how that was basically the microchannel connector moved up to where you didn't need a separate slot for it, even though architecturally it was vastly differerent. :)
I figured, LOL! My first computer experience was my dad building a 286... Lot of things have come and gone since then....
Ah the same era I'm from. We upgraded our 286 to a 486slc and in the end it could run win3.1 in enhanced mode. :)

Oh and hi HSV neighbor! Always glad to see another local labber. :)

white-hot

Jan 8, 2013
Added a couple more items. This time next week will put them on eBay if no takers.

Oh and hi HSV neighbor! Always glad to see another local labber. :)
Hello!

Well, not so much a labber as a WHS early adopter and it kind of grew from there. Now with the NAS it has turned into just another appliance in the house and I really don't have to do much with it. Much of it is all automated now.

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Added a couple more items. This time next week will put them on eBay if no takers.

Hello!

Well, not so much a labber as a WHS early adopter and it kind of grew from there. Now with the NAS it has turned into just another appliance in the house and I really don't have to do much with it. Much of it is all automated now.
Nice! That GS116 has a lifetime warranty too if I'm not mistaken--just need to supply the pop to the buyer. :)

It all starts somewhere! I found a Dell 2950 for $25 on craigslist with no ram almost over 5 years ago and got a lot of ram cheap enough that I made enough to cover the server cost and cpu and storage upgrades. Then I found a few more complete 2950s for cheap and then an HP DL380 G5 and DL360 G5 (same era as the 2950). Then an R410 for cheap and finally an R710. Got my first DAS complete with HBA and 3x more R410s. Then got an R420 and an R630 barebones I'm building up. Oh, and got a full 42U cabinet locally. :)

I also started out with a simple nas for next to nothing that I put some drives in, then found another, and another...now nearly 20 nas units later, I think I have enough backups since I can keep whole units for a single day of the week. :)