P420i and SSDs

Discussion in 'RAID Controllers and Host Bus Adapters' started by javooooo, Sep 8, 2018.

1. javooooo

javooooo New Member

Hi all,

We're doing a Ceph build and are using some rather old HP DL360p gen 8 servers which have integrated P420i RAID controllers with 1GB caches and BBUs.

We're going to be filling these servers with Intel SSDs (most likely S4510 960GBs), but from Googling I'm a little concerned. Does anyone know if:

a) this card will work (and be stable) with the Intel SSDs that aren't HP-branded?
    b) whether the card will be a bottleneck for getting the max speed out of these SSDs?

If the answer is yes, I'm considering putting a HBA card into each server. Are there any recommended cards that others have used in gen 8 servers? Would a HBA card (eg a LSI) mitigate the firmware compatibility issues of non-HP disks or is this a backplane issue?

Also curious whether this server would handle 12G disks with a 12G HBA, or whether the backplane is a bottleneck restricting everything to 6Gbps?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
  2. sybreeder

sybreeder New Member

I have DL380e Gen8 and use M5014 (LSI 9260-8) raid controller connected to the backplane - backplane is 6G only.
    I will have today HP P420 at home that i've ordered to replace that LSI.
    Generally with anything other than HP Branded that server just screams. Fans right now are set to 100% with mellanox 10g sfp+ and that LSI card so...
    In case of Intel SSD - i have S3500 so i can connect it to that P420 today to test. But it should work. Right now i use 2 samsung SSD with integrated B120i in raid0 with no problem other than slow speed because of sata 3gb limitation.

Doesn't Ceph works best with HBA ?

3. Connorise

Connorise Member

a) this card will work (and be stable) with the Intel SSDs that aren't HP-branded?
    Should be just fine for this case.
    b) whether the card will be a bottleneck for getting the max speed out of these SSDs?
    It might be, in this case you can always go HBA with Ceph.

4. Patriot

Patriot Moderator

450k iops is max for that controller, p430 can get you 1m... latest firmware on p420 should enable ssd smart path by default no key needed. The LSI HBA of that era max at 300-330k iops. If you really want to try something crazy... you can turn the p420 into pseudo hba mode.

hpssacli cmd -q "controller slot=0 show config detail”
    hpssacli cmd -q “controller slot=0 modify hbamode=on forced"

and 6g backplane and well... Ceph is your performance limiter.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  5. vanfawx

vanfawx Active Member

@Patriot Do you still get benefit of the 1GB cache when hbamode=on?

6. Patriot

Patriot Moderator

Maybe on reads... but I don't think so... you are effectively bypassing the raid stack.

vanfawx likes this.
  7. tomaash

tomaash Member

The SA P420 is pretty good raid controller, but sucks in hba mode. It does not do smart passthrough and as far as I can remember performance suffers a lot.

Good and cheap hba for gen8 servers is the H220, which is LSI 9205 or 9207 based.

8. Patriot

Patriot Moderator

Yes, it was mainly for the... unnamed scale out data centers that didn't want to waste the p420i (embedded)
    and were using spinning rust not SSDs. You are correct, it is a hacked together hba mode, true hba mode doesn't come till p440 or just using a straight h220. The P420 with later firmware supporting smartpath.

Make sure if you enable smartpath to also enable drive cache... smart path does disable write cache, so if you have shoddy drives, it will show.