P3700 NVME for Slog

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
He has a Supermicro AOC-SLG3-2E4R that he got from me, with the SSD.

I have the + version of that board (not sure if that's what you have too). I just got them in though, and haven't run anything but ram through them... That board is actually on my bench hooked up still from testing that RAM. If I have time on Monday I'll find another AOC card and give it a test on my board and see if it gets detected.

My experience thus far is some supermicro boards/bios work, and some don't. Which makes sense since that card has to do with the bios, which is also why you need to make sure you're running UEFI boot/os or it won't be found either, and that the OS Supports NVME too.

Not sure what OS you're trying either but you should try:
- Win8.1 / Win10
- ESXI 5.5 u2 + NVME Driver

MUST BE INSTALLED UEFI

Last edited:

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
There's no point to the "non-R" card if your BIOS supports the non-R card, which cost less than 50% of that one. He could try a non-R card and if that fixes it awesome :) But, I'd try everything first because they're not cheap. ($250 vs $125)

Both cards are hit or miss in older motherboards by Supermicro (x9). I have over a dozen SM boards on hand but only tested the NVME/AOC cards in hafl-dozen if that so far. I'm sure there's an exact reason some work and some don't, but I know for a fact that one has to do with BIOS on the motherboard supporting it or not. With that said, I don't know why it works in some and not others but I've used them in x10 boards successfully (all models I have), and what seems to be they work in random x9 boards but that's a small sample size (~3-4 tested so far), more to come.

The x9s that didn't work with NVME are getting fusion-IO.

Will those x9s continue to not work? That would depend on the BIOS updates I imagine ???

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
I missed the "SLOG" part.

What OS are you using?