OwnCloud Opinions

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TangoWhiskey9

Jun 28, 2013
My new OneDrive (new Skydrive brand) is about % full. I have all of this hardware and storage so I was just thinking about running a Linux VM with owncloud. From what it sounds like you can do things like drag files into a folder and it will sync. Keeping local copies and syncing with remote storage.

How easy is this to setup and more importantly maintain? Is it really a OneDrive/ Google Drive alternative?

BThunderW

Jul 8, 2013
Canada, eh?
www.copyerror.com
I tried OwnCloud as a replacement for Sugarsync about a month ago. Got rid of it pretty quick. It's extremely buggy. I had couple of machines synching to the server. The machines kept uploading/downloading the same set of files over and over even though the files were identical across all machines. There's no way to exclude sub folders when synching a folder. The synch client is slow and takes up tons of CPU during synch process.

I'm still looking for a suitable replacement myself. Will give Seafile as shot soon. Then there's also Pydio, but I haven't looked into it much yet.

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
I have been using owncloud on my synology for about a year with great success. Only complaint is you cannot exclude sub folders and I could never get the mobile app to work, but I think that probably has to do with my reverse proxy and less owncloud

MACscr

May 4, 2011
I find it to be of hobbyist quality. Cant believe they actually think its an enterprise solution. Its ok if you are doing web only and just messing with some files, but their clients are pretty poor, which is really the key component to a cloud solution like that.

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
I find it to be of hobbyist quality. Cant believe they actually think its an enterprise solution. Its ok if you are doing web only and just messing with some files, but their clients are pretty poor, which is really the key component to a cloud solution like that.
I have heard of an evaluation for a dropbox alike and quite large solution (edu use for staff and students) where all data is kept in Germany (NSA, you know). OwnClowd was one of the evaluated solutions.

In the end, Owncloud was not used because of concerns regarding data security up to data lost, support (ability to react on problems and solve them - even acknowledge problems) and code quality. A very costly commercial solution was used instead. It would not have been a problem to pay for support and enhancements.

This is very disappointing as Owncloud is a quite often used OpenSource solution. I really hope that quality of software and support improve over time.

lmk

Dec 11, 2013
I haven't tried OwnCloud since version 4, but I see since then version 5 was released and more recently version 6.

Are you all finding that the newest release is still not as stable or where it should be?

Looking at the two BThunderW has mentioned, I like that pydio lists having HA as part of it built-in.

scobar

Nov 24, 2013
I am using V6 and do not have any issues to report. I am also using the mobile client as well. Right now I am the only one using my instance with just a phone and laptop. I also do have dropbox. What I do like about owncloud is that the data capacity is controlled by me, and that when you share a file, you can also unshare it, set a password, and even have the link expire. Something that dropbox does not offer. These are nice features.

What I really hate about the dropbox client, there is no way to disable the 30% battery limit, where once your mobile device this this, you cannot upload files. I wish that owncloud had a native handler much like dropbox integrated into explorer.

I like both, TBH.