OWC Thunderbolt 10G Ethernet Adapter vs Sabrent Thunderbolt 3 (10G) Ethernet Adapter

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

WeirdG

Jan 14, 2023
I noticed both of these adapters were available in the Amazon Warehouse Deals section recently, so I figured I'd grab them both and do a quick comparison. In terms of performance, they're very similar but keep in mind I only have a gigabit internet connection. My download speed top out at 1080Mbps with both adapters. When doing large file copies across my networked devices, they also perform similarly.

The more interesting tidbits are when I compare the device specs on my Mac Mini M1. The OWC adapter appears to have an older Aquantia firmware installed, while the Sabrent adapter appears to be newer. If I'm not mistaken, firmware version 3.1.106 was released several years. If I had to guess, at least 5 years ago. The Sabrent adapter appears to have the most current firmware version installed. The other noticeable difference is that the OWC adapter shows a PCIe Link Width of x4, while the Sabrent adapter is x2.

Unfortunately I don't have any non-Mac computers with Thunderbolt ports, so I won't be able to test the adapters on anything besides a Mac.

OWC Thunderbolt 10G Ethernet Adapter

Sabrent Thunderbolt 3 (10G) Ethernet Adapter

BoGs

Feb 18, 2019
Would you be able to do some iperf tests from different machines? I am looking at getting one for my dock and I always wonder if they will work at full speed.

Reactions: WeirdG

WeirdG

Jan 14, 2023
My understanding is that they won't be able to do the full 10 Gbps despite being 10G adapters, but I can test it out later on. Keep in mind these are Thunderbolt adapters, so they won't work with the standard USB-C ports.

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
I have both a newer and older version of the OWC adapter.

- newer version comes with a rubber surround
- older version comes with an all metal case
- newer version does NOT like being updated
- older version can be successfully updated
- both versions can happily do 10Gbps on both Mac and non-Mac machines

You can get the firmware from Marvell Support -> Public Driver Downloads. For the OWC adapters, the newer one is at 3.1.106 and the older one can be updated to 3.1.121a. I have not noticed any difference in operation or speed. Unfortunately for the firmware update you MUST have a Windows PC. Thankfully the updater is designed properly and will store/backup the older firmware when updating so that you can rollback firmware. Just FYI - I updated the newer version of the OWC adapter from 3.1.106 to 3.1.121 and it wouldnt work properly, so had to rollback

The other option is to grab a refurb Sonnet Solo10G which appears to be the same as the older version of the OWC 10G adapter

1710175687339.png

WeirdG

Jan 14, 2023
I have both a newer and older version of the OWC adapter.

- newer version comes with a rubber surround
- older version comes with an all metal case
- newer version does NOT like being updated
- older version can be successfully updated
- both versions can happily do 10Gbps on both Mac and non-Mac machines

You can get the firmware from Marvell Support -> Public Driver Downloads. For the OWC adapters, the newer one is at 3.1.106 and the older one can be updated to 3.1.121a. I have not noticed any difference in operation or speed. Unfortunately for the firmware update you MUST have a Windows PC. Thankfully the updater is designed properly and will store/backup the older firmware when updating so that you can rollback firmware. Just FYI - I updated the newer version of the OWC adapter from 3.1.106 to 3.1.121 and it wouldnt work properly, so had to rollback

The other option is to grab a refurb Sonnet Solo10G which appears to be the same as the older version of the OWC 10G adapter
Wait... the updated firmware on the newer version doesn't work properly? That's the version I have with 3.1.106. I just assumed I'd be able to upgrade it without issue using a Windows computer that has a Thunderbolt port. I wonder what the differences between the new and old OWC adapters are?

I did notice the Sabrent adapter running 3.1.121 seems to make my SFP transceiver run a few degree hotter than the OWC adapter. The difference is 2-3 degrees celsius. Both operate the same.

Are you aware of any differences between firmware 3.1.106 and 3.1.121?

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
Wait... the updated firmware on the newer version doesn't work properly? That's the version I have with 3.1.106. I just assumed I'd be able to upgrade it without issue using a Windows computer that has a Thunderbolt port. I wonder what the differences between the new and old OWC adapters are?

I did notice the Sabrent adapter running 3.1.121 seems to make my SFP transceiver run a few degree hotter than the OWC adapter. The difference is 2-3 degrees celsius. Both operate the same.

Are you aware of any differences between firmware 3.1.106 and 3.1.121?

Yep indeed, it surprised me when the newer version couldnt take the newer firmware. I have not tried again and it could be that I need to redo the firmware update but need to find the time to do it.

This is what the OLD adapter looks like (the old one has a review here: OWC 10Gbe Thunderbolt 3 Review)

1710183684787.png

And this is the new one

owc_new.jpg

The difference in temps could be anything - I wouldn't read too much into it unless you can compare the Sabrent on 3.1.106 vs 3.1.121a. I haven't observed any differences in speed or performance between the two firmware versions. At some point I may open the adapters and change out the TIM to a Laird 7000 TPCM or similar TPCM - will report back if that drops temps etc. How are you monitoring temps?

WeirdG

Jan 14, 2023
Yep indeed, it surprised me when the newer version couldnt take the newer firmware. I have not tried again and it could be that I need to redo the firmware update but need to find the time to do it.

This is what the OLD adapter looks like (the old one has a review here: OWC 10Gbe Thunderbolt 3 Review)

View attachment 35299

And this is the new one

View attachment 35300

The difference in temps could be anything - I wouldn't read too much into it unless you can compare the Sabrent on 3.1.106 vs 3.1.121a. I haven't observed any differences in speed or performance between the two firmware versions. At some point I may open the adapters and change out the TIM to a Laird 7000 TPCM or similar TPCM - will report back if that drops temps etc. How are you monitoring temps?
I was only measuring the temps of the SFP transceiver connected to my switch. Not the adapter. The TP-Link switch I have has the ability to monitor the temperature of the SFP transceivers connected to it. When I just checked, the SFP transceiver connected to the OWC adapter is sitting at a little over 68 degrees celsius. When I was previously using the Sabrent adapter, the SFP transceiver was hovering around 71 degrees celsius.

WeirdG

Jan 14, 2023
I got a Windows computer with a Thunderbolt port just so I could update the firmware, and you're right. The new adapter version won't work with the latest firmware. I connected the OWC adapter to both of my Macs after the udpate, and they failed to detect it. I even rebooted thinking that would get it working, but nope. I had to rollback the firmware to version 3.1.106 so the adapter would play nice with the Macs again.

Last edited:

dj-shd

Apr 6, 2023
apparently if you put the owc on it's side, it drops quite a few degrees in temp. don't quote me on this as I read this in a review. Mine is still in transit but I will be testing that once I receive it

Reactions: WeirdG

WeirdG

Jan 14, 2023
apparently if you put the owc on it's side, it drops quite a few degrees in temp. don't quote me on this as I read this in a review. Mine is still in transit but I will be testing that once I receive it
I read that too, but not sure if that applies to only the first version or both versions of this adapter. In any case, my adapter runs warm but not hot.

dj-shd

Apr 6, 2023
got mine in. definitely gets warm. I haven't stress tested it but performance so far seems to be solid

Sjhwilkes

Oct 17, 2020
I've both versions of the OWC too - don't see any point in messing with the firmware to be honest. They do get hot - haven't tried them on their side. Can get 10g iPerf to a 25g connected Linux box no problem from either. At home I hit about 4.5g to / from my Synology, so I'm inclined to just use the 2.5g port in the dock. Hopefully at some point a cheaper/lower energy chip that can do 5/2.5/1 will arrive.

dj-shd

Apr 6, 2023
okay it started falling apart for me already. drops out for elongated periods of time due to heat I think with it even being on it's side. I am going to drop it down to 5G and see if this thing is useable.

Sjhwilkes

Oct 17, 2020
What's your ambient? Mine fail when the room hits 85 Fahrenheit in the peak of summer, but otherwise are ok.

dj-shd

Apr 6, 2023
I have not been able to measure but it was definitely very very hot to the touch. I was transferring stuff at about 350MB/s for 2 hrs before it failed. It recovered after 15 mins but died again and didn't recover for an hour until I disconnected and reconnected it. I have dropped it to run at 5GBase-T and hopefully it'll be stable. Extremely disappointed at the poor thermals of this item considering what it costs.

Do you by chance have an mini-cooling solutions that you recommend? I saw one in an amazon review but I don't know where to find such a fan.

Sjhwilkes

Oct 17, 2020
Yeah, with hindsight I wish I'd spent the extra for the Sonnet SFP+ one so I could use a DAC cable (or one of the newer lower power copper SFP+ I guess)
That it gets so hot at least means a big ass heatsink stuck to the top will likely work.

dj-shd

Apr 6, 2023
so I got some tiny fans off amazon to try the fan mod as seen in the review and will report back