OS drives Windows Server 2012 Essentials

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

GIAN

Dec 12, 2012
Hi,

I bought Windows Server 2012 Essentials (currently running WHSv1) and will build the server with the following hardware:

• Chassis: Norco RPC-4220
  • MB: Supermicro X9SCM-IIF
  • Memory: Kingston 8 GB Dual-Channel Kit (2x 4GB) ECC DDR3 DIMM SDRAM KVR1333D3E9SK2/8G
  • CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230V2
  • PSU: bequiet Dark Power Pro 10 | 750W
  • SAS/SATA controller: IBM M1015 (it will do for the moment since I don't have more than 8 disks)

I will re-use the disks that are currently in the WHSv1 machine as storage disks in the 2012 server (it's main use will be storage server).

I've got some questions regarding the OS drive(s):

- AFAIK, there are two options for having a fall-back option if the OS drive fails: either have 2 OS drives in RAID1 or use the 'Server backup' feature of Server 2012 to schedule a regular backup of the OS on another drive. Is this correct? Which of these 2 options is the preferable one and why?

- Is it necessary to have a dedicated OS drive or can I make an OS partition of e.g. 120 GB on e.g. a 3TB drive where the 2nd partition would then be part of a storage pool?

Thanks in advance for your help; I'm pretty much a rookie in this field :confused: