Options for going 10GB

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

briandm81

Aug 31, 2014
In my long-range home-lab roadmap, I want to do VSAN. I have the three servers ready, and they all are already equipped with X520's. So now I just need to connect them. Short term, I need 4 ports. But in addition to using a 10GB port per server for VSAN, I'd also like to have a 10GB port to connect the servers for NFS. So with three boxes, that would mean 6 ports, and hell why not throw an x520 into my workstation and make it a lucky 7. So I've come up with two options:

My old Dell PowerConnect is going to fail at some point. I have to reboot it every month or two, so it's only a matter of time.

Option A is to get an LB4M for all of my gigabit connections (6 per server, plus all the other random stuff you plug in like a router, printer, etc). Then add to that an LB6 for 24 ports of 10GB glory. My question here is...first can I stand the noise. And second, how do I actually uplink the two? The LB4M that I have found on ebay seem to provide a pair of 10GB uplinks. Can I just use a pair of twinax dacs?

Total cost for this option is $145 for the LB4M with 2x10GB + $399ish for the LB6 + $50ish for the twinax cables (if I can do this). So for about $600, I end up with 22 ports of usable 10GB, which gives me plenty of room to expand.

Option B is to just replace the PowerConnect with a single switch that has ports of 10GB. Either the D-Link DGS-1510-28X or the Dell X1052. This leaves me with only four ports, which basically means until I add on an additional 10GB switch.

Total cost for this option is $550ish depending on the price of the X1052 if I go that route.

So...will option A work? And if so, will I be able to handle those switches being a relative networking moron. And if somehow I can...will I be able to hear myself think. And if I can hear myself think, will my wife kill me.

And to top all of this off...I'll have another thread to discuss how I configure the software layer of all of this as it pertains to ESXi and the guest OS's.

Thoughts?

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I would not want to be in the same room as the switches.

I'm not a networking guy either but the CLI isn't bad, and lots of great people here have posted guides, walk-through and more for both switches.

briandm81

Aug 31, 2014
Ambient sound level in my office is 60db according to my phone. I have a closet next to my rack. If I have long enough twinax cables I could just leave it in there assuming it doesn't overheat.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I have both of them and yep, too noisy to spend much time in the same room with them.

But together they are nowhere near as noisy as a Gnodal GS4008. It will leave you screaming in pain.

NSKA

Nov 17, 2015
If you are looking for a little higher end version then the LB6M I have a Fujitsu XG2600 I am willing to sell.

StammesOpfer

Mar 15, 2016
Also remember that the LB6M does have 4 copper gigabit ports so you could link that to a standard gigabit switch depending on your bandwidth needs. You may not need to go with the LB4 as your other switch. I have an LB6M but I don't run it unless I need 10Gb because it is pretty loud. Can't wait to isolate my rack a little more.

briandm81

Aug 31, 2014
That's a good point. I'm unlikely to mix much traffic anyway. I'm going to start another thread on setting up my VMware network itself and how this might impact that. So I could just get a LB6M for now and pick up a cheap, decent, quiet 24 port gigabit switch to replace my Dell with. At least one of them would be quiet.

StammesOpfer

Mar 15, 2016
That's a good point. I'm unlikely to mix much traffic anyway. I'm going to start another thread on setting up my VMware network itself and how this might impact that. So I could just get a LB6M for now and pick up a cheap, decent, quiet 24 port gigabit switch to replace my Dell with. At least one of them would be quiet.
Yeah I have my 1Gbe switch setup with a 4 port LAG. I can't think of a time that I would ever be maxing out more than 4 gigabit clients at once (probably more like 1 with a few other light tasks).

NSKA

Nov 17, 2015
Isn't the XG2600 even louder?
I honestly don't remember, if it is its not really a concern considering it is a much nicer switch and the usage is not in your living room its for a very well built 10Gb setup.