Options for connecting an old EXB-8200 SCSI tape drive on modern hardware

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

MBastian

Jul 17, 2016
Düsseldorf, Germany
over 30 years ago a uncle gifted me a refurbished Exabyte EXB-8200 8mm tape drive which I used for backups on my "pimped" Amiga 2000. Recently I discovered said tape drive loaded with my latest backup from around 1996. So I am now itching to see of there is still data left on the tape. If yes, I'd like to resurrect my oldest workstation in my retro-gaming Mister FPGA setup.
The problem I face is that I no longer own any old PCI(-X) systems and there seem to exist only expensive or not prone to work options.

1. Buy a PCI to PCI Express converter with a cheap PCI-X SCSI adapter.
pro: Cheapest option
con: There are no good adapters. Some don't work with all cards and chances are good that a bad adapter can damage your motherboard.

2. Buy a last-gen U320 card
pro: Can be installed directly
con: Needs an U320 to wide SCSI adapter. Both the the card and adapter are not exactly cheap

3. Buy a vintage server or workstation.
pro: I don't see any
con: Mostly huge pieces of metal which people are trying to sell for much more than they're worth.

4. A USB to SCSI adapter
pro: the most compact solution. Nice to have for other vintage stuff like ZIP drives.
con: These are rare and sold at a huge premium. Needs an external case to put the Exabyte drive in.

Anyone has a recommendation for me? Since I only need it for one job I'd happily rent the hardware needed from someone.

Last edited:

kryten

Apr 10, 2023
Even if you do manage to connect it to a system, can you read and restore the data aswell?

UhClem

just another Bozo on the bus
Jun 26, 2012
NH, USA
I'd use an Adaptec 2940 SCSI card (PCI); about $20 on eBay.
And a PCIe_x1-to-PCI adapter card (about $10 on AliExp; search ASM1083).
[And a 50-pin SCSI cable, of course.]

Stephan

Apr 21, 2017
Germany
Germany, right? I have a bunch of Lenovo ThinkCentre M93 towers with PCI+PCIe and Intel i5‐4570vPro CPU in storage, about to go to recycling. Also some small m55 which I know works with larger PCI-X Adaptec because I used that for LTO-2 at a point. Tight, and only has PCI. Would have to check if some machine passes memtest so you get a good machine. If you pay for shipping I'll send you what you need. If you are lucky might even find the SCSI card.

• Love
Reactions: MBastian

MBastian

Jul 17, 2016
Düsseldorf, Germany
Germany, right? I have a bunch of Lenovo ThinkCentre M93 towers with PCI+PCIe and Intel i5‐4570vPro CPU in storage, about to go to recycling. Also some small m55 which I know works with larger PCI-X Adaptec because I used that for LTO-2 at a point. Tight, and only has PCI. Would have to check if some machine passes memtest so you get a good machine. If you pay for shipping I'll send you what you need. If you are lucky might even find the SCSI card.
Wow, that's so nice of you! A SFF M55 I could keep around in case I need to get something else of vintage media like floppy disks and ATA drives (it has only sata but controllers are still cheap) I'll send you a PM soonish.

Last edited:

Stephan

Apr 21, 2017
Germany
Let me know what interface the drive has. I presume SCSI LVD SE, or something else? I'm in southern Germany.

MBastian

Jul 17, 2016
Düsseldorf, Germany
Let me know what interface the drive has. I presume SCSI LVD SE, or something else? I'm in southern Germany.
The EXB-8200 has a 50 pin SCSI interface and it's an internal full height 5.25 drive. So I'll have to jury rig it.
If you dont have any of those don't worry. Old SCSI-2 PCI card with a 50 pin cable from ebay or kleinanzeigen are a dime a dozen.

Last edited:

MBastian

Jul 17, 2016
Düsseldorf, Germany
Thanks to the kind donation from @Stephan I started my first attempt last weekend. Sadly it ended with an "Servo Error" on loading. It's not the end of the world as these Exabyte drives are derived from Sony 8mm technology, failures and their remdies are well documented. It's probably a drop of oil in the right spot or too low voltage on a motor.

Last edited:

Mr.Robert

Sep 8, 2023
You should be able to find an old SCSI adapter around for cheap. If the device is not an ultra or a wide scsi it should be a std 50 pin scsi cable. An adaptec 2920 would be perfect. They are on ebay starting at 15-20 dollars. They are an ISA card but if your machine has eisa slots I am pretty sure they are backwards compatible with isa. Also make sure you have a terminator at the end of the scsi 50 pin cable or it won't work. (ie the next connector after the drive on the chain)

Mr.Robert

Sep 8, 2023
The 39160 is an ultra wide 160 scsi adapter but if I remember right it also has the old 50 pin scsi connector to be backward compatible ? I believe it is also an EISA card. When you hook up your drive to it make sure that the bios recognizes the drive and that you can set the correct parameters for it. There may be a setting on that port to tell the bios if it an ultra drive or not. Don't forget the terminator at the end of the daisy chain scsi cable or it won't work. If it recognized correctly in the scsi bios utility it is probably the drive ?

GregAiken

Nov 7, 2023
Hello group. I have a New old stock Exabyte 8200 scsi-1 50 pin single ended tape drive.
I have it attached to my Adaptec AHA-2940AU scsi-1 card, and with proper scsi termination.
This in a Windows XP 32 bit operating system.
In 'Device Manager', the 'Exabyte 8200' device does list, but with a huge '?" (question mark) to signify it does not have any drivers available.
When I tried to tell Windows XP to search for drivers using internet it failed to find what is necessary.

Can anyone here either kindly provide a URL as to where I can get the required 'driver' so that Windows XP can fully communicate with this tape machine?
Or be kind to email them to me?