Opinions sought - IBM x3400 M2 and Xeon 5600 CPUs

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

slatfats

Nov 3, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
Hi ServeTheHome regulars!

Long time reader, first time poster... Your wisdom was great help when I was setting up my ESXi/Storage box :)

I have an opportunity to pick up an IBM x3400 M2 server, locally to me (Brisbane, Australia), with 16GB RAM and dual quad core Xeons (E5504's), for a competitive price.

I'm trying to figure out whether the server is upgradable to 5600 series Xeons, but can't confirm whether or not it is.

My understanding was that the 5600's were drop-in replacements for the 5500's. But, all of the official doc's that I can find for this server say that it is limited to 5500 series, quad-core Xeons at a maximum. I've found one BIOS change log that refers to the 5600's, but as the BIOS can be used for multiple servers this neither confirms nor denies that 5600's can be used in the M2.

When the 5600 series were released IBM put out an M3 version of the server, and the docs for that version say that it is compatible with the 5600's. So, I'm guessing that the M2 can't be upgraded to 5600's... possibly limited by firmware, as electrically there should be no problems...

Can anyone add any further information?

Thanks!

Reactions: Patrick

Twitchy

Nov 21, 2014
I have been chasing down info on the very same thing. I have a x3400 m2, and am looking at the 5600 processors as an upgrade option. most of the info listing that it only supports the 5500 processors was published before the 5600 lineup came out... the processors are getting cheap enough to where i may pick up a set and give them a go.