Opinions on HP ProCurve 10GBe Switches

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Kneelbeforezod

Sep 4, 2015
The 10gig ProCurves Are faily cheap on Ebay. How are these switches for Home sue for 10 GBe Network? Iin a previous thread it was recommended I get the Ubiquiti box but at around $500 that's out of range ATM.

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
Those are 2012 era 10Gb and will be hot and loud. Plus they have the older CX4 interface opposed to the more modern SFP+. That said there are few options sub-$200.

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
I am getting rid of all my homelab equipment except for my NAS and 1 box to run plex media server.

1. I bought a new synology that has 16GB of RAM and can run most stuff in Docker (sonarr, radarr, nzbget, unifi controller) so need to even run VMs for this stuff.
2. I have much more resources available to me that are hosted at work, then I could have at home and have moved most of my "lab stuff" to that infrastructure. Right now my homelab ESX instance is running the vCenter VM and a Plex VM. Seems dumb, when I could run Plex Media Server on bare metal.
3. I dont need 10Gbe for Plex.

Kneelbeforezod

Sep 4, 2015
If i don't want to get a switch now, I can test out 10GB and how it works for me with a couple of cards and direct connect right? That way i'm not out a bunch if it doesn't fit the bill.

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
Most likely but I think it largely depends on what your planning on doing. I think VSAN for example requires switching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kneelbeforezod

Sep 4, 2015
The primarily goal is faster transfer over the network and faster encodes of my raw mpgs to mp4 with Handbrake

ro345

Jul 31, 2017
That's a pretty old platform. It will run fairly hot and loud. The upside is that you don't have to buy transceivers for your switch. The downside is that its CX4. You nic selection will be pretty limited and you'll need to buy CX4 cables. CX4 cables are a pain to deal with.

Blinky 42

Aug 6, 2015
PA, USA
Avoid CX4 stuff unless you have the NICs and Cables and Switches for damn near free.
You can get the same 6410's with X2 slots and hook them up to anything modern with LC to SC jumpers so you can use your normal SFP+ equipment with cheap optics. The X2 modules are not super cheap but still out there. I have seen a lot of these 10G switches out there to drive long distance fiber and connect data centers or connect ToR switches as they were low port count and inexpensive vs. the chassis switch with 2 port 10G modules when you only need a few ports total.

Reactions: Jeggs101

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
Is the other one bot written?
We can conclude from the chart that, apart from the price. The port configuration and speed also matters when purchasing a switch. This two factors determine the switching capacity. So you have to consider the amount of traffic to run through the 10Gb switch and select one that can accommodate all the dataflow. Power consumption is also a very important aspect as it defines the operating cost in the long run. Think about tens of thousands of network switch in a middle sized data center, a power efficiency switch can save you a great amount of money.
wtf? First one isn't a sentence followed by saying ports configuration matters. The last, you don't use tens of thousands of these switches in a data center. rofl

blood

Apr 20, 2017
Everybody is of course correct about the state of CX4 - it's old and not used much. One advantage to it that I'll point out though is that many switches used CX4 for their stacking ports which can be configured as "ethernet" and then become CX4. A good example of this is Netgear GSM7328s v1 or v2 - so if you needed to link to another switch with a bunch of gig ports from this switch, it could be convenient.

That said, I'd avoid this particular HP switch. It might be cheapish, but you'll end up paying for 10g CX4 NICs for your devices, cables, etc - and it'll be hot and loud.

TeleFragger

Oct 26, 2016
old thread .. TTT...

I just bought one of those procurve switches, will be here by next Friday off ebay for $55 shipped (my offer)...
I have the cards and cables, so I'm $55 in on 10gb....

I just wanted to point out that my cx4 cards are HP branded and latest fw only goes to 2.8 but I was able to force flash 2.9.1000 (cant find anything higher)... BUT...

back to my real posting point..
these cards even work in
Win10 - 1809
ESXI 6.7
FreeNAS 11