OpenIndiana 2016.10

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

dealcorn

Oct 12, 2011
I have a normally off, headless, home backup server with a Supermicro Xeon C2558 motherboard and 8 WD 3 TB Red drives. Based on advice from the mailing list re known bugs, I recently downgraded the array from BTRFS RAID6 to RAID1. Does OpenIndiana support a ZFS Z3 array on the Xeon C2558 (Rangerly)? How bad might single user, sequential read/ write performance get on this not recommended processor? What is an appropriate amount of ECC memory for this use case? I am attracted to Patrick's statement that the array may now be used as a boot drive.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
RAID Z3 on an 8 disk array is massive overkill.

makruger

Nov 1, 2016
I am attracted to Patrick's statement that the array may now be used as a boot drive.
The updated text installer currently supports single disks, mirrors, and raidz. It does not at this time support other raidz options such as raidz2, or raidz3. You could however, install the operating system directly to a mirror or raidz and manually configure the rest of the drives as you wish.

In regards to your CPU and I/O related questions, sorry I don't have an answer for you. My best advice would be to boot the Mate Live Media and give it a try. If you run into any issues, please file an issue with the appropriate (OI or illumos) bug tracker.

Michael

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Adding a bit for the RAM and CPU questions.

8x3TB should be fine in RAIDZ, Z2 from a CPU performance side. If you are trying to do a RAID 10 type array, then the C2550 will be more than ample.

Going ZFS storage server I would try to use 32GB on a C2550 platform. You may also want to look at a cheap (sub $100) ZIL device if you are going to use RAID-Z2.

Top Picks for napp-it and OmniOS ZIL/ SLOG Drives

dealcorn

Oct 12, 2011
I misspoke in saying Z3 when I intended to say Z2. I am not familiar with Solarus terminology. The backup server also has a 16 GB Supermicro SATA DOM which is smaller than the OpenIndiana minimum specification of 20 GB and lacks redundancy. That is why I was drawn to (but misunderstood) the new boot loader comment. I will think more about what distribution supports a 16 GB, non redundant, boot device. My A1SRM-2558F motherboard lacks USB3 support and redundant USB2 boot devices lack appeal and is not recommenced. My Chenbro case lacks room for additional drives unless I resort to a dual sided sticky tape solution. If performance testing suggests a ZIL device is required, a sticky tape solution is my way to go.

I am happy to hear that the C2558 is not a deal killer. My primary interest is in data integrity rather than peak performance. I appreciate that ZFS requires abundant, ECC memory. While the cost is not prohibitive, 32 GB of DRAM sounds high for a single user 18 TB array used for sequential read/ write. Hmmm.

dealcorn

Oct 12, 2011
By way of clarification, 8 3TB drive gives gross array size of 24 TB or 18TB net of parity loss in Z2. Does the rule of thumb suggesting a GB of DRAM per TB of storage apply to gross or net array size?

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
I would not go below 32GB for the bootdevice or you will get troubles on updates or have no space for additional bootenvirinments or crashdumps.

A Zil is a logdevice for a secure crashresistent write behaviour (like a BBU on hardware raid).
Only required as an example for VM storage or transactional databases.
You do not need for a general use ZFS storage system.

ZFS does not require ECC but this is a strong recomendation for a server system

The 1 GB RAM per TB data as a requirement is a myth.
Its only a good thumbnail rule for a fast multiuser system or if you want to enable dedup where there this is the absolute minimum. But dedup is a function only for very rare and special use cases.

A 64bit Solaris system requires about 2 GB RAM for stable operation, does not matter the poolsize. BSD or Linux based ZFS systems may require a little bit more. But as ZFS gets the speed from readcache, more RAM gives performance. For a single user system 4GB or more is ok especially if you are satisfied with disk performance. With more RAM nearly all reads for current data are delivered from ramcache.

dealcorn

Oct 12, 2011
Gea: thank you. I just read Patrick's excellent guide to boot drives and a pair of used 40 GB Intel 320's sounds perfect for my use case. My case has adequate room for Velcro sticky tape attachment. Another benefit is that I can then use OmniOS which, I believe, is a preferred support environment for Napp-It. Given my lack of relevant expertise, the most preferred support environment is attractive. For what it is worth, the server does has it's own UPS. I will not use dedup and the server does not support VM's or transactional databases.

Lastly, I am aware that the same words may have different meanings as you move from BTRFS to ZFS. There will be a learning process.