Open source bare metal switches? (on the more affordable side)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
So another set of forums linked me to this:

Open Network Linux
The OpenDataPlane Project
Open vSwitch

And i'm finding it very interesting. Post-Snowden when I heard about everyone including Cisco having backdoors in everything they made, i've been struggling to figure out what to even use. Some people are building their own low level routers and such with stuff like pfSense in a PC with a couple network cards... i'm looking for something a step above that since what i've seen is like 3-4 ports.

The above stuff is neat but literally seems to be Core Router level internet backbone stuff almost, with multiple 40-100gig pipes and terabit total throughput. I'm still looking for mostly gigabit class stuff (not needing 10gig for every channel, the 1gig router is just for 'bulk use' of every other device in the house) but i'm looking for what can load open source software because I no longer trust what comes on any of them for a potential future business. Also want to learn about virtual routing stuff before scaling up to even faster things.

Last edited:

itguy82

Mar 1, 2015
Cumulus Linux and their free Cumulus VX
pfSense for routing/firewall
cloud router.org <-- crazy overkill
vyOS
bm-switch.com
untangle

Well what are the oldest managed switches to get some kind of an open source update, potentially patching security vulnerabilities and such?

For that matter, has there ever been a 'security hole' in an unmanaged switch or is that basically impossible? :p When I look at things carefully I realize I don't necessarily need fancier management options outside of the top level.