Open Network switches for home use?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
Dec 3, 2020
Hi all,

at work, we have Open Network switches (ONIE based) and i realy dont want to switch back to some proprietary switches.

I am wondering if there are some smaller ONIE-Switches for home use? Something like 8x 10G Switches. I googled a bit but i cant find semi professional devices.

A other idea could be: Are there any open source projects which supply images to turn a standard x64 based PC into a ONIE platform?

I mean, simply spoken, a ON-Switch is only a x64 platform with specialized network-ASIC which is attached over PCIe.

I know, I could add some NICs into a PC and install opnsense for example and bridge the phys NICs. But this is not the same like administer a professional switch OS via CLI, ansible, REST and so on.... :)

Reactions: llowrey

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
I am wondering if there are some smaller ONIE-Switches for home use?
for home use? no
there are some 24 1gbe port switches that support sonic or other "free" nos, but they are very pricey (6k+ $), 10gbe or faster is like 10k+ $
A other idea could be: Are there any open source projects which supply images to turn a standard x64 based PC into a ONIE platform?
Mellanox sells a "gateway" device/vpi switch which is actually a server with 8 x16 pcie slots and 8 dualport vpi nics. Not sure if it's running a vanilla linux distro and special software and could be done in a diy server...
I mean, simply spoken, a ON-Switch is only a x64 platform with specialized network-ASIC which is attached over PCIe.
I think that the asic is the center part of any network device and most of the commercial enterprise switches use a broadcom asic. And broadcom + documentation is a topic for itself :D
But this is not the same like administer a professional switch OS via CLI, ansible, REST and so on.... :)
Why not? Linux + bash/other shells, windows + powershell/wmi etc :D

MarcoP82

Feb 3, 2016
The cheapest I know are the Dell S4112F-ON and S4112T-ON, 12-port 10Gbit with three 100Gbit ports. These can be had for a few thousand dollar second-hand.

There is also the Dell N1108T-ON which is 1Gbit only, but can be acquired cheaply.

Dec 3, 2020
I am familiar with the Dell N3200 and S5200 series with OS10, OS6 and SONiC. These switches are equiped with BCM Trident 3 and are ONIE based.

N1100 seems to be available with 1G and 10G Ports and its ONIE too, but i cant find any informations regarding the ASIC of these models. Do you know something about that?

I could only verify that OS6 is available for N1100 series, but it looks like OS10 is not available, but maybe SONiC depending on which ASIC is used.

Here are some official Links:
N1100 Product Page: Support for PowerSwitch N1100-ON Series | Overview | Dell Canada
N1100 Spec sheet: https://i.dell.com/sites/doccontent...ll-EMC-Networking-N1100-Series-Spec-Sheet.pdf
User Setup Guide: https://dl.dell.com/manuals/all-pro...networking-n1100-series_setup-guide_de-de.pdf

MarcoP82

Feb 3, 2016
Sorry, can't help you more as I'm not experienced with either. I just tried looking at solutions you might have missed.