Open-E Experiences?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
I've read a lot of experiences of TrueNas and other open source NAS projects, but didn't know about this one that offers a free version for soho and smaller applications. System requirements seem really light (ideal for older hardware) and the feature set seems really nice. Am I missing something?

Love to hear any experiences with this platform on any level--their enterprise, smb, or soho versions.

ano

Nov 7, 2022
we run a few, not terribly impressed by open-e honestly, nor their support.

we prefer quantastor if we pay, and if you can get within community quota of TB think you can get 60TB on a community lic now.

and.. just linux, or truenas scale or whatever if budget is 0

Reactions: Samir

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Thank you for the feedback. I looked at quantastor and it seems their hardware requirements are much more demanding, even for the community version.

ano

Nov 7, 2022
its ZFS, and linux. its all the same as others really.

or hw raid and linux, or ceph and linux...

same same same

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
its ZFS, and linux. its all the same as others really.

or hw raid and linux, or ceph and linux...

same same same
True but different packages have different system requirements, hardware requirements, and quirks. I just found out about them so wanted to see if anyone knew the quirks besides the support.

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
4TB free limit with Open-E ? Hmm, some fairly USB drives have more storage than that.
TrueNAS Core needs are very modest (except for the ECC ram platform). If you want to run a reliable ZFS system, here is a good hardware guide:
I think the limit is something like 40TB for the soho edition with things like HA and all the other enterprise features live and not crippled. I don't have that much storage that I would put on there--it would be just another backup, and maybe if the HA works well across an IPsec link I would experiment with that.

TrueNAS is just too demanding for the older hardware I have based on that pdf. I'm sure I could still use an older version, but why when something modern will work, hence I'm looking at all the various packages out there.

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
I've run FreeNAS without ECC for years, and the only time I've had any issue is when some ancient WD Black 2TB drives I've reused started dying en-masse. Surprisingly, my WD Purple drives ran like champions with zero issues.
I've since switched from Freenas/Truenas to running stuff on Qnap, which I've mixed fillings about, but knocking on the wood. Right now, it does all I've planned for it: The primary storage system. 1-2 VMs with USB pass-thru, dozen containers, Photo sharing/storage, NVR system with 5 HD IP cameras. And still has plenty of headroom left, thanks to 64 GB memory and an i5-8400T cpu. Most importantly, It does all that in a reasonably small footprint with minimal noise and power usage, in addition to hot-swap drives.

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
I've run FreeNAS without ECC for year...
I'm not worried about the ECC, but the ram and cpu requirements are more heavy duty than that Open-E is stating theirs will run on. I know an older version of FreeNAS will be good too.

ano

Nov 7, 2022
what is your ram, cpu & workload?

what people state are worthless, try it in reallife

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
what is your ram, cpu & workload?

what people state are worthless, try it in reallife
Just plain NAS duties, nothing fancy at all. In fact, I usually just JBOD each of the drives in the unit.

It would be interesting to try some of the newer 'features', hence I could take an old system and run Open-E on it and try it out. Just don't want to waste my time if it's really terrible or a resource hog.

jakerouse

Oct 23, 2023
I've read a lot of experiences of TrueNas and other open source NAS projects, but didn't know about this one that offers a free version for soho and smaller applications. System requirements seem really light (ideal for older hardware) and the feature set seems really nice. Am I missing something?

Love to hear any experiences with this platform on any level--their enterprise, smb, or soho versions.
TrueNAS CORE offers an extensive feature set and modest system requirements, making it suitable for older hardware.
It leverages the ZFS file system for data integrity and provides data protection features like snapshots and encryption.
Also, its user-friendly web interface and plugin support make it accessible to a broad range of users.
However, keep in mind the learning curve involved in setup and configuration, and ensure you have a backup strategy in place for data safety. For dedicated support or advanced features, you can consider the commercial TrueNAS scale version.

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
TrueNAS CORE offers an extensive feature set and modest system requirements, making it suitable for older hardware.
It leverages the ZFS file system for data integrity and provides data protection features like snapshots and encryption.
Also, its user-friendly web interface and plugin support make it accessible to a broad range of users.
However, keep in mind the learning curve involved in setup and configuration, and ensure you have a backup strategy in place for data safety. For dedicated support or advanced features, you can consider the commercial TrueNAS scale version.
I'm familiar with Truenas, but it's system requirements are actually higher than open-e.

Reactions: jakerouse

mrpasc

Jan 8, 2022
Munich, Germany
I'm familiar with Truenas, but it's system requirements are actually higher than open-e.
The lower system requirements for DSS V7 are there because it is using XFS and LVM instead of ZFS. And it will be end of life in less than a year! And it lacks lot of the enterprise features: Stable and robust data storage software for building data storage servers - comparison | Open-E
if you go for the actual JovianDSS the hardware recommendation is quite equal to any ZFS system: Open-E JovianDSS system requirements | Open-E

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
The lower system requirements for DSS V7 are there because it is using XFS and LVM instead of ZFS. And it will be end of life in less than a year! And it lacks lot of the enterprise features: Stable and robust data storage software for building data storage servers - comparison | Open-E
if you go for the actual JovianDSS the hardware recommendation is quite equal to any ZFS system: Open-E JovianDSS system requirements | Open-E
Good to know. I'm not too worried about eol since a setup like this would just be lan only and probably powered off most of the time. Just trying to find the various options for my ec200a. I initially considered xpenology and truenas and then discovered there's more out there.