OmniOS + NappIT VM Appliance: Major Fault/Very high CPU

Discussion in 'Solaris, Nexenta, OpenIndiana, and napp-it' started by abstractalgebra, Jan 29, 2014.

1. abstractalgebra

OmniOS + NappIT VM: Major Fault (kernel.panic)/High CPU/Hard + Soft Smart errors

I'm concerned since i have very high CPU usage 50-75% without much of any SMB or NFS Access. SMB seams fast but NFS really drags. For example, I got over 200 MB/s by SMB and just 20 MB/s copying that same large file from SMB to a Win7 VM (on that same ZPool, by ESXI NFS Datastore). Everything is on a 6x 3TB WD Red NAS drives in RAID-Z2 + Kingston V300 120GB L2ARC. I'm moving some VMs to a separate 256GB SSD in ESXI.

I also see these two faults with SEVERITY=major in the logs below. The link does not help so I am uncertain how to troubleshoot. Any suggestions?
    Running nappit-14a on ESXI 5.5, default 2 vCPUs and 8GB RAM.

fmadm faulty

Stats

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  2. abstractalgebra

Oh this seams bad, is it pointing to my L2ARC being bad or one of the spinning disks?
    The System log has lots of these errors (scrub is just finishing).

Everytime I reload smartinfo the errors increase... (outside 40s buffer?)
    Scrub completed without errors and no repairs. EDIT: Update Memtest86+ 5.01 passed full round

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  3. gea

gea Well-Known Member

You can ignore the softerror from iostat as it counts on every smartcheck.
    I would remove the cache ssd for another checks. The harderrors there are only messages but try what happens.

Have you used e1000 vnics or vmxnet3?
    Try the other but prefer vmxnet3

Have you enabled sync (always or default) on your filesystem?
    Disable sync and retry.