OmniOS and Napp-it losing the GUI

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jwhitmor

Jan 24, 2015
Hello All,

I am ripping my hair out here. I have installed napp-it four different times on a base of OmniOS-10b9c79 64bit. Xeon Haswell processor, 16GB ECC ram. I imported the previous storage pool no problem.
It works perfectly until I re-boot, and then the GUI is not accessible. This does not seem to be a network connectivity problem. I can ping my workstation, ping my nameserver, do dig command for yahoo.com, and all are successful. I am not getting any error messages, I just can't connect to the GUI after the first re-boot. The console terminal works fine. I also started the SMB service before the re-boot. It was working, but after the re-boot, the SMB server no longer shows up when I browse the network. I know, just a little about OmniOS /Solaris, but not enough to competently trouble shoot the GUI. Seems like there may be a task(s) not started after the re-boot.
When I type from root# /etc/init.d/napp-it restart
I get: " No such file or directory " which I assume is a fatal flaw (?) but what is going wrong during the install that is causing it? I did mirror the rpool SSD as part of the original install of OmniOS, and then installed napp-it with wget, which completed without a hitch. All worked really well until the re-boot.

Thanks,
j.w.

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
On OmniOS/Solaris, your bootsystem is ZFS with bootable snapshots (BE)

It seems that you boot into a different (=older) BE
Check napp-it menu Snapshot >> Bootenvironment (BE) if the current BE is the default BE
(where you boot into without selecting another during boot).

If current is not default, select "current" during boot ot set current BE to default.

Reactions: F1ydave

jwhitmor

Jan 24, 2015
Yes, you are correct. My grub menu has 5 selections, and no matter which I "highlight" (select) on start-up, I have no napp-it.
So I vi (edited) /rpool/boot/grub/menu.lst, and I see "default 4", which I edit to "default 5", and all is OK again. I do not think
I should need to edit the default selection, because the highlighted menu selection should be the one that boots, but certainly no
problem, now that I am aware of how my installation of OmniOS is working.
Thank you so very much for helping immediately, and also for napp-it itself!
j.w.

Reactions: F1ydave