Old server hardware to experiment with unraid package development and virtual servers

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

9jack9

Aug 18, 2012
Hello STH Forum!

A while ago I got some feedback here regarding a home server I initially wanted to use Windows Storage Spaces for. I took a bit of a detour and went with unRAID, but the feedback/help I received here was phenomenal so I'm reaching out to you guys again for help regarding a new project, and that is the development of an server platform that runs on some slow/cheap/old hardware, but I can use for testing/development.

In short, I would like to construct a server platform that I can run unRAID on as a development/test server (while keeping my main unRAID server untouched), as well as testing the development of virtualized servers with the use of KVM (perhaps Xen). I don't need this platform to be future-proof in any way shape or form, I don't need it to be fast, and hell, I don't even need it to be particularly reliable, these are all the things I am willing to sacrifice in order to save on cost.

Some features that I would like to have:

Vt-d (for virtualization) as well as IOMMU so I can passthrough PCI devices
IPMI would be nice so I can run the unit headless
room for a PCI card (for that PCI passthrough) (likely for a controller)
hardware is friendly to KVM

I really am new to the virutalization world, and I'm not sure what kind of older hardware works well with with it. I don't have much in the way of older hardware laying around I can use, so I guess this is the opportunity to build something from scratch. It also may work out best to buy a whole server unit already assembled (that is older), but I really don't know at this point.

Anyway, any input would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

May 29, 2012
EU
The cheapest hardware for a IOMMU box with decent Linux support with onboard graphics, if you need any, is the Intel Q35 or Q45 platform. Vt-d doesn't depend on the CPU with that generation so you can get any cheap s775 cpu to work. Power consumption is not bad since it doesn't use the ancient FB-dimms and boards like the dq45cb are pretty cheap. They don't have IPMI but V-pro, which is pretty much the same thing as earlier IPMI implementations where the NIC is shared on a low level (sideband).

9jack9

Aug 18, 2012
The cheapest hardware for a IOMMU box with decent Linux support with onboard graphics, if you need any, is the Intel Q35 or Q45 platform. Vt-d doesn't depend on the CPU with that generation so you can get any cheap s775 cpu to work. Power consumption is not bad since it doesn't use the ancient FB-dimms and boards like the dq45cb are pretty cheap. They don't have IPMI but V-pro, which is pretty much the same thing as earlier IPMI implementations where the NIC is shared on a low level (sideband).
That's the second time I've seen that board recommended... someone was using it in a similar fashion that I was trying to, however they had trouble passing PCI hardware through to various virtual machines... I'll have to follow up with them, regardless, I should probably take the hint.

Also you weren't kidding when you said the S775 chips were cheap...

Thanks for the suggestions!

Mike

May 29, 2012
EU
That's the second time I've seen that board recommended... someone was using it in a similar fashion that I was trying to, however they had trouble passing PCI hardware through to various virtual machines... I'll have to follow up with them, regardless, I should probably take the hint.

Also you weren't kidding when you said the S775 chips were cheap...

Thanks for the suggestions!
With what were they having issues with passthrough? I have one, although it's not running virtual stuff at the moment.