NVMe to U.2 PCIe4x4 adapter tested

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Philip Brink

Sep 14, 2019
For those looking for options for PCIe4 U.2 connection (seems like most everything is pcie3). I am using NVMe and PCIe slots for U.2 drives and had a hard time finding things that would support PCIe4 speeds. So, thought I would help out a bit. I wanted to use the PCIe slot to U.2 adapter for my setup, but there are NVMe to U.2 directly via ADT. I don't have any, so I did not list them.

Note about the ADT adapters, looks specifically for the 4.0 in the name. The ones with out that, are PCIe 3.

The longer the cord, the more likely there will be signal degradation. I am using 20cm and have had luck with PCIe3 testing. I am limiting the list to items I own, and I should note that this was tested on my PCIe3 board since I have a month before my next build is ordered. I will give an update once I test on the next build.

Parts list:
u.2 Drives: MZQL21T9HCJR-00A07(1.92TB) | SSD | Samsung Semiconductor Global
nvme pcie4x4 adapter: M.2 NVMe to PCIe x4 Extension Cable
pcie4 to u.2 card: U.2 PCIe 4.0 Adpater for 2.5 inch U.2 SSD (SFF-8639)

These drives were not recognized by a fairly old MSI Z170 board with an i7-6700x. But, worked great on the MSI X470 Pro Carbon with AMD 3900x.

Philip Brink

Sep 14, 2019
As promised. Used above devices with an Asus ProCreator x670e. I have 20cm cables and got some interesting results.

20cm on the furthest NVMe slot was sketchy. Worked very well for the first few GB on a transfer, then usage would spike to 100% and not drop, then transfers would stop progressing, eventually hanging the complete drive support systems and require a reboot (which took forever to correctly shutdown).

Moving the setup to the nvme closest to the cpu and the second u2 drive connected to the slot closest to the northbridge results in full drive speeds without issue. 6800MBs read and 2800MBs write in crystal mark.

Other things to note, the MB didnt want to recognize the U2 drives in PCIe slots, but NVMe slots was fine. Could just be a board/ASUS thing they did.

Also used the nvme to pcie and connected a 40gb mellanox card at PCIe3. Fired right up, no issues. Moved it back to a PCIe slot, but seemed to be a useful test.

Results suggest keeping the cables as short as possible is going to be advisable (no surprise). 20cm seems to be the advisable limit with this setup and the linked cables above.

Hopefully that helps someone with a question out there.

Reactions: homeserver78